10 inch Lathes**** Oldies but goodies*** need your opinions ASAP
(07-25-2015, 09:50 AM)stevec Wrote: I know what you mean, I hate bending over to work on the lathe. It wouldn't be very long before I'd get it jacked up on something to save my back.
My back hurts just watching John (doubleboost) at his lathe.

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004

I just use knee pads. Seriously though, a 6 inch thick pad of concrete under it would sure help. Those pads do have one problem - heavy and difficult to get rid of. I poured a huge one in my basement as a stand for a mill/drill. When I moved to a new house, that sucker stayed behind. Couple of tons I suppose. Smile
Thanks given by:
That was the first job on my Victor -- my local scrap dealer had a bunch of drops of ~4" diameter... wait for it... stainless. So now I have shiny bling-bling feet.

Because my floor is pretty wavy by the foundation wall, I used a carpenters level to determine how long to make each lathe foot -- it was nearly leveled by the time I got it up on it's feet, which made leveling it with the precision level quite a bit easier. That actually reminds me... it's been 1.5 years, I should check it again to see if it's settled.
Thanks given by:
thanks guys for all yure help shes looking sounding good.
since im in a fixen mode decided to stay late thur night and do an over haul in maint on our old 13 SB at work.... Friday I ordered up a gal of spindle oil and gear box oil in which ill be splitting with the co . Still have a slew of way oil and other than that ill pick up some SAE20 as needed for everything else. Called cooks machine on fri I have an $85 credit in which im gona be purchasing a bunch of goodies for both my lathe and mill and be all set with tooling.... think ill be well equipped now . Its been a long haul gathering up missed tooling and got kinda expensive . Hopefully my new found hobby can re pay back it self . else I may have a nice equip garage to piddle round and drink Miller lights alone in..lol,,,
Thanks given by:
(07-25-2015, 11:08 PM)Kennyv Wrote: ...else I may have a nice equip garage to piddle round and drink Miller lights  alone in...

No chance of that happening now that you have two machines. You will always have modifications, tooling or repairs to make on one for the other...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
One Machine besides a14" delta Dp , table saw , band saw and a SLEW of tooling. Right now only one machine the New lathe lol.. Upgraded the Pm25mv to the 932PDF prob ship out next week ... aint gona be much of fixin few mods but that's it . I need some work ideas that have a $ return... Have a few ideas but ill have to market them myself putting word out ... aint much of any work in my area less I specialize in something that will cater to fishin industry ..those need welding work mostly which I don't do . Lot of shops closed down and the marinas do some in house work. I don't have much connections , or any connections for that matter ... I bowled last 2 seasons with an ole timer he knows 3 friends with shops in which all of them are not looking for help . I need to make connections with a machine builder farmer or someone that can turn me on to side jobs ...else I gots to come up with some other ideas . Have a friend that flies high end copters, planes and drones . That markets pretty big but thers allot guys selling replacement parts cheap . Its a growing area but don't see much less I was into it myself. If ya come up with mod ya hafta give a few freebes till word gets out . so far all the mods I saw was carbon fiber CNC junk and maybe a few high end motor bushing mods blade grips ect...and allot guys doin that stuff . JMHO if im not in the sport down the fields nor see parts touch and feel aint no way see whats good to make. I dunno ill find something.. Bed time here Mate its 3 Am ...Cheers
Thanks given by:
just purchased the last of the tooling I should need besides what im gona make... No worries ill post pics when I getem . Btw did a search on a few items that I recently bought. looked like I did well with my negotiations skills and I have to say im happy NOT to have to buy a 3 and and /Or a -4 Jaw Chucks both came with the lathe and are good quality in great shape. Was curious to see what they go for and wowza !!! Yahooo . wahoo !!! 6k in the whole but still happy Big Grin

3 jaw Buck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T23762-Buck-Chuc...3f4823a769

4 jaw South bend

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Manufacturing-Me...uck&_sop=3
Thanks given by:
do any you guys know of a good source to buy that cross feed brass nut . I found one on ebay not sure if this is good deal or a trustworthy source ?
thanks in advance for any help and advice :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191639255504?_tr...:MEBIDX:IT

kennyv, Sunday at 10:35 PM Edit Report
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2015, 07:39 AM)Kennyv Wrote: do any you guys know of a good source to buy that cross feed brass nut . I found one on ebay not sure if this is good deal or a trustworthy source ?

kennyv, Sunday at 10:35 PM  Edit Report

The seller has over 2400 transactions with a 100% positive feedback rating. You can't get much better than that. The price seems reasonable to me and includes free shipping. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by: Kennyv
(08-05-2015, 04:42 PM)EdK Wrote:
(08-05-2015, 07:39 AM)Kennyv Wrote: do any you guys know of a good source to buy that cross feed brass nut . I found one on ebay not sure if this is good deal or a trustworthy source ?

kennyv, Sunday at 10:35 PM  Edit Report

The seller has over 2400 transactions with a 100% positive feedback rating. You can't get much better than that. The price seems reasonable to me and includes free shipping.  Smiley-gen163

Ed

thanks Ed thought same thing .... just wanted "ONE" confirmation ..now I got it... everyone else now can keep comments to themselves .. cuz don't need someone to have another opinion .. don't worry Ed the one cent was worth a whole bunch ... besides pennies make sense
Thanks given by:
Kenny, check tools4cheap (discount code in the discounts forum) he has some SB10 Heavy stuff on closeout. Actually everything's on closeout.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: