10 inch Lathes**** Oldies but goodies*** need your opinions ASAP
Up date as far as flame hardened ways . and serial # Here is what I found but it don't speciphy.
Locate the third and final letter in the lathe serial number. This letter will tell you the type of swing in your lathe, the size of the spindle hole and if any special modifications were made to the product. This final letter in the serial number will read as "R", "L", "E", "D", "T", "X", "C" or "K."

Locate the third and final letter in the lathe serial number. This letter will tell you the type of swing in your lathe, the size of the spindle hole and if any special modifications were made to the product. This final letter in the serial number will read as "R", "L", "E", "D", "T", "X", "C" or "K."

now I know I got a bit excited but seems to me this lathe is going to hold up and do much more better than a china 10" anyone dis agree with that statement ?
from what else I read the bearings have shims that are made to wear and can be adjusted .So what should I look for when looking over the lathe? speak now and forever hold yure peace

right now thinking of taking off Monday some reason I cant get her off of my mind ....
I want to make sure im not missing anything when lookin over the lathe besides condition ways, gears, feeds and engagement run out ect....

what is best way to see how tight headstock is and Berings? what can I check and or do to make sure she's in good shape?

Thanks a mill Guys .. ever since I threw out an old craftsman lathe (long story ) its been my dream to get something again .. I dunno why but I feel ill be better suited with an Ole SB heavy 10" than a new china model?

I know everyone likes there Chevy's Chryslers and Fords but do you all agree with that ?

ohh last Q im not gona have 3 phase 220 v only single phase am I scrapping the whole idea ? not sure what type of motor but from other descriptions most are 3 phase .......
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: 10 inch Lathes**** Oldies but goodies*** need your opinions ASAP - by Kennyv - 07-17-2015, 09:02 PM