10 inch Lathes**** Oldies but goodies*** need your opinions ASAP
The 9" does not appear to have a quick change gear box. You'd find out real fast just what a PITA constantly disassembling and assembling the gears will become.

As others have said trying to speed up a plain bearing machine is not a good idea as it will most likely end up with failed bearings and a damaged/seized spindle.

I fully agree than any of the used US made lathes are far superior to a new 10" Chinese lathe. Most consider the smaller Chinese lathes to be of poor quality at best. They usually need torn down and flushed to facilitate removal of the remaining casting sand and swarf from the machining process.

Some European lathes you may want to consider are Denford, Myford, and Emco Maier (note: Emco not Enco). Note the Myford line was purchased in a bankruptcy sale and I believe production was moved to India. I have no information as to the quality of the new machines. Also South Bend was purchased by Grizzly and production moved to mainland China and Taiwan. Most here know my opinion regarding Chinese machine tools.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: 10 inch Lathes**** Oldies but goodies*** need your opinions ASAP - by Dr Stan - 07-18-2015, 01:35 PM