10 inch Lathes**** Oldies but goodies*** need your opinions ASAP
Long day  got off to late start but now im kicking back w/ a cold one . Shes home in her place .   Yup"
South Bend 10"  Heavy tool room Lathe   

thanks for your input .'Bill of sale .. done deal  here's a few pics to prove...lol......, .should of brought cash tho    o well ........

few  Bullet points.

Runs like a champ ... ways in good shape,  headstock , motor pulleys gears  feeds gear box, gears , gibs   all remarkable  ,  Ran dead  nuts  with collets .. i say Tits  less than .0005 . Motor is smoothe and all engagements , free spinning spindle  back gear all check out good too.  Spindle bearings were  in great shape . with the fulcrum test she was .004 tir  when I first checked her . Than I overhauled whole machine again than went to town checkin everything .  Had  to stand on top of my toolbox as they were unloading trucks with forklifts less than 10 "  behind .. was 90 deg today ..  fun day  I must say I count see  must of loss 5 pounds ... but it was all worth it. Kinda on your own over there ...took a short break ( 2 min)  looked at other machines  that were same size  than came back to check out the rest ...  asked permission to take apart spindle bearings ,  did a readjust got er less than .001 -  ( .002) TIR with the fulcrum test .....  figured  if I do right procedure I can  dial her in better so I was satisfied in what I saw. Afater words noticed down below they had all extra shims for adjustments when I got home noiced  the proper procedure under the ld of belt cover on the headstock...  

checked out  chucks   mounting dismounting ect.... dug for a few fixins  and it  was late time to wrap it up ..  Didsn't have much or any time to go shopping   had  to squabble round. Lucky I was able to get what was promised ... I wanted a few others things  but had to pack it in...   All in all . Im a happy camper  I got what I went ther for and didn't leave disappointed , Kinda choked up too  Ok I wont get sappy  on ya .

The only thing I didn't score on was AXA tool  holders  got a few  but not  what id call  big enough selection . He had a boat load of BXA,s  and im not kidden had  drums of 5c collets . that place was machinists  flea market dream .. Ok GTG  more latter
thanks again

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: 10 inch Lathes**** Oldies but goodies*** need your opinions ASAP - by Kennyv - 07-21-2015, 01:07 AM