Rebuild 5/6 ton log splitter
As already posted I picked up a damaged log splitter. A small one 5 or 6 tons depending on what day you buy it Big Grin 
This is all I have.

I going to mess about see what I can do with it, hopefully something useful.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Some ideas - to get off the ground

The green parts are what I have, all the other coloured parts/bits I'll have to make.

There are somethings I'm not too keen on with my log splitter.
The main beam is the tank to hold the hydraulic fluid and to house the hydraulic cylinder which is fine what I don't like is the pressed in part of the tank top. It is useful for holding a log central but if I don't want to hold it central it is a nuisance. I will weld a flat plate on the top of the tank.

With this type of log splitter the log is pulled (via the pusher) into the wedge again is ok except the pulling force is exerted below the log. (See the red bars) This arrangement forces the top of pusher to tip towards the back. I need to look at this.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
DaveH, What are the red bars and bit of channel that's holding them for?

I agree with your take on the " the pressed in part of the tank top ".

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Hi Steve,
The 'channel' is welded onto the end of the hydraulic ram, when the log splitter is operated the ram moves forward (to the left in the pic). The two red bars (threaded at the end) are fixed to the channel by a couple of nuts. As the ram moves it pulls the two bars which are connected (normally welded) to the pusher, hence pushing the log towards the wedge (not shown).

Bit of a strange (if somewhat clever) arrangement. The main problem with this arrangement is it causes the part of the pusher in contact with the log to tilt backwards. The commercial ones (as bought) have a couple of plastic pads on the running surfaces to try and alleviate the tilt.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
This shows it better.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Thanks Dave I didn't realize the Pusher was pulled by the red bars that are actually pushed by the extension of the cylinder.
Musta missed "The main beam is the tank to hold the hydraulic fluid and to house the hydraulic cylinder".

The plumbing for the cylinder that lives in it's own reservoir (the beam) must be interesting 17428

(Note to self, read posts at least twice before responding) Blush .

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Welded the top plate on and gave it a quick spay with etch primer. It was too dark to take a photo, I'll take one tomorrow.
I took a couple of photo's of a little friend who comes and sits on the wall and watches 'till there is something to eat.

It's a Shrike (butcher bird)

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Started cutting out the pieces for the "pusher"

Making it in two parts - first the bottom part, approx 200mm high x 100mm wide

then the top part, approx 80mm wide x 100 long

The two parts will then be bolted together to form the pusher.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Nice project Dave, do you plan to use the plastic slide cushions as you described?
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
(07-23-2015, 06:16 PM)Pete O Wrote: Nice project Dave, do you plan to use the plastic slide cushions as you described?

Funny you should ask that - I was phoning around this morning to see if anyone had them, no luck so it will have to be with out them.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: