Aloris AXA QCTP
I went to a small machine shop close out today, the guy is retiring after his partner (also his brother) passed away. In the past, I had done work for them and them for me, a nice pair of guys, the placed was pretty picked over and only small odds and ends were left. When I saw Harry (the owner), he jumped up and shook my hand and said he was saving something for me. He handed me a brand new Aloris AXA QCTP.

About 2 years ago I had sold my battered Aloris AXA QCTP (probably too cheap) and bought a new (the then latest and greatest, according to them) Dorian AXA QCTP. The last time Harry was at the shop, he saw the battered unit, remembered it and set the new one aside for me. I was so touched by his generosity, I felt obligated to buy the entire leftovers. Lots of nuts and bolts, odd sized drills and taps and box full of Teco studs, nuts and clamps. 

Damn it!! I now have a new Aloris AXA QCTP, I now may have to buy another lathe.
jack
Thanks given by:
Tough problem there Jack. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
That is awesome. I love hearing stories like that. It gives me hope to hear that there are still people out there that are genuinely good down to earth people and aren't driven only by that almighty dollar. He could have sold that but instead he thought of you and you had enough respect and generosity to buy things you really probably didn't need in return. I applaud you.

I love my Dorian QCTP but personally if I were in a situation like yours I would install the Aloris for nothing more than sentimental reasons. It will mean something to you every time you see it and use it.

Mike.

Thanks given by:
After using both, while the Dorian is supposed to be a redesigned and improved wedge system, bt I see little difference between them in actual use. And as while both units accept the standard AXA blocks, the Dorian is about 3/8" taller than the Aloris. so the height adjustments are way off, from each other. I'm not sure either brand of QCTP is actually better than the other, of course maybe I'm not driving them hard enough to see any difference. I will say this, the Dorian is the superior in looks (if that matters), the two-tone finish, fancy ID yellow tag, compared to the plain black lump that is the Aloris.

there has to be worse decisions to be made, than Dorian or Aloris.
jack
Thanks given by:
Hey Jack, a friend/coworker of one of my nephews just picked up an old South Bend 9" lathe and asked about me helping him get a chuck. If the machine doesn't even have a chuck there's a pretty good chance it will need a QCTP, so if you're inclined to sell off one of the two let me know!

Thanks,
Ken
Thanks given by: