Cylindrical Square
I recently emailed three local diesel mechanic shops inquiring about writs pins, bearings etc.  I got a response from one, which read "Drop in and see if we have anything that suits".  Well yesterday I called past and found that they throw most stuff into the bin and when we looked, all were rusty.  So he had one of the apprentices push some out of pistons that had just been removed.  I was told that they don't do a lot of bearings but his buddy does, so he'll talk to him and get back to me.  I walked out with six of the ø38 x 82.75 (left) and one of the ø39.65 x 78.00 (right).  

I checked them against my machinist squares and I couldn't see any daylight.  Whilst I don't need seven, the six matching ones may be useful in fixing odd shaped items to the table.

I asked if they wanted anything for them and was told "no thanks". They are going to call me if they get any "big" ones in, so I'll drop by with a carton of beer then.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
And to think how many of those things I've 'binned' over the years. Bash

If I only knew then, what I know now..... Slaphead
Willie
Thanks given by:
I hear you Willie - my Dad was a mechanic.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Way to make me feel stupid, guys! I just ordered one from Shars. <bang head against wall>

Keith Ruckert has a video of using one to tram a mill head. If it's good enough for him, it ought to be good enough for me!
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
(11-04-2015, 10:43 AM)wawoodman Wrote: ...
Keith Ruckert has a video of using one to tram a mill head. If it's good enough for him, it ought to be good enough for me!

That's where I got the idea also. The correct name though is Keith Rucker.

Ed

Thanks given by:
The square came from Shars, yesterday. VERY nice piece of gear, with the exception of the box, which was pretty well busted up. I think I can make a new one... Rotfl  It even came with a loop handle that screws into either end, making it easier to handle.

In any case, I followed Keith's instructions, and it really went well. I wasn't far off, but the head definitely needed a tweak. The only thing that made it a little tough was that my Rockwell mill only has a 2-1/2 inch long spindle. It would have been even easier with the long spindle of a BP, or similar.
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by: