motor mount.
Again, I am very new to this, so my reason for posting is as much to give you something to read, but also to run my method by you all incase im doing anything vastly wrong.

You may remember, my lathe is working, but I am trying to get the mill working. The motor on it, wont work under 240 three/phase via vfd so Ive sourced another 3 phase motor that can be run from a vfd

[Image: 20150809_205702.jpg]

but the old motors mount wont fit it,

[Image: 20150809_205746.jpg]

so Im making another one. the idea is, a ring...

[Image: 20150805_190146.jpg]
[Image: 20150805_205805.jpg]
[Image: 20150809_194303.jpg]

I cant think of a way of cutting the inner circle out...  If the mill was working, I could use a rotary table? but the mill isnt working so... and my parting blade is to thick to cut a circle (if you follow)... so?

[Image: 20150809_205629.jpg]

thoughts?
Thanks given by:
trepanning bit, would be what I would use if I didn't have cutting torch in the shed.

you can grind the bit out of a hunk of HSS for a one off job. tried to find a link to a image of one but lost that battle, maybe one of the other guys can explain how to grind one.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I've done what you seem to be doing - use a hole saw then finish it with a boring tool.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Either will work, the hole saw is really a full circle trepanning tool. If you use the hole saw drill some holes in or along the edge of the saw cut to aid in cutting removal.
Can't tell from the photos, how did you hold the part to cut the OD and now the ID?
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Thought you were going to pop round and pick the other motor up and I'd cut you a new plate and keyway the pulleys for you ?
John S., Nottingham, England.
Thanks given by: kingcreaky
Eventually made it over to John S on Tuesday night, this time thankfully, not writing off a car.

Once again, want to say a massive thankyou, for everything he inadvertently taught me, and of course... for the wizardry he performed extending my motor shaft

before
[Image: 20150809_205702.jpg]

after
[Image: 20150812_201746.jpg]

Thumbsup

this enabled the pulleys, once mounted to line up

[Image: 20150812_214208.jpg]

and finally, the mount is finished

[Image: 20150810_202659.jpg]
[Image: 20150812_214155.jpg]

may not seem much to you lot. But everybody has got to learn somewhere!
Thanks given by:
Matt,

Those missing clamps for the ram. Just had a thought If someone started to strip this mill and removed the clamp bolts the clamps could have dropped into the base of the casting.
Well worth getting a torch and having a look through the coolant hole at the back to see if they are there.

Save you making a couple and then you will only need a couple of new clamp bolts .
John S., Nottingham, England.
Thanks given by:
Nice work
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(08-13-2015, 03:13 AM)John S. Wrote: Well worth getting a torch and having a look through the coolant hole at the back to see if they are there.

NB Americans:  I'm assuming he means an electric torch.  What we call a flashlight.
Charles Spencer, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2014.
Thanks given by:
You would be correct Charles
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: