Home Shop Made Tools
Cat eye I made for the lathe. The set screws are brass tipped.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Good to see I am not the only one making tools , I knew you lot were holding back , nicely done lads , dam fine examples of home shop machining .

Hi Ed , as ever most of my projects have a wee bit welding in them , the main bracket was fabricated . Its always a toss up between casting or fabricating ,either way both are fun to do .

Wish I had room for a larger blasting cab Greg ,yours looks a good size ,nicely made too . Spotted your weld positioner lucking in the back ground ,reminds me I have to get one made , I have collected most of the parts ,just short on time .

Cheers Rob
Thanks given by: EdK
all nice tools as long as they can be used thats all that counts. Imo  the clever ness  and, engineering  is what counts  the cosmetics is what makes us proud when we do such a fine job .... Jmho  thats the added bonus.

Fine job gents  love to get Rob to make me a few useful tools but seems  he wants us laymen to get the chips out of our boots ..lol  
Rob Id like to ask about that  taper attach .   what  type of steel and did ya harden it ? ...  i can use one for my Sb 10 heavy lathe   so if ya have an extra one send it my way .   we can trade something .. but with your talent doent look like ya need much ....

What id also like to know is when ya add a taper attach one  on a lathe that doenst have fit for it  do you need change the lead screw  or make attch to accommodate?
thanks
Thanks given by:
(08-18-2015, 12:34 PM)Kennyv Wrote: Fine job gents  love to get Rob to make me a few useful tools but seems  he wants us laymen to get the chips out of our boots ..lol  
Rob Id like to ask about that  taper attach .   what  type of steel and did ya harden it ? ...  i can use one for my Sb 10 heavy lathe   so if ya have an extra one send it my way .   we can trade something .. but with your talent doent look like ya need much ....

What id also like to know is when ya add a taper attach one  on a lathe that doenst have fit for it  do you need change the lead screw  or make attch to accommodate?
thanks

Hi Kenny , 

What steel do you have ?  any thing will do just cut it up and weld it together . I used plan old HR and  CR mild steel . 

[Image: PA230095_zpsmgwwrng2.jpg]

Weld it and cook it at blast MK5 until black and crispy   ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and leave to cool .

[Image: PA230101_zpsdo9tbefg.jpg]

I changed tack part way through the build and extended the main bracket to accommodate my newly acquired at the time long cross slide . 

A few machining shots . 

[Image: PA240105_zpsvswywjpu.jpg]
[Image: PB120136_zpsogbpmggg.jpg]
[Image: PB120137_zpsnnjenjn9.jpg]

And yes ,,,,,,,,,that was machined on a round column RF25 mill/dill  Big Grin as was most of this project .  

I did harden a few parts , the slider block was case hardened ,so I did not have MS sliding on MS . cast Iron would have been a better choice for this part ,but after at least 6 years use its all good.
[Image: PB070146_zpszgrqeyaz.jpg]

Gave it a wee clean of today ,

[Image: P1060136_zpsd1h7mbfo.jpg]

There is a series of holes along the back of the lathe bed that facilitates the TTA being bolted anywhere along its length . 

I think the SB TTA is of the travelling type   , it moves with the carriage , same as the Boxford lathe I think .  Should not be to hard to make  Popcorn

Rob
Thanks given by: Kennyv
May as well post a few shots of the lathe slotting attachment , a very hand bit of kit .  Big Grin

It was supposed to be a cast Iron body ,,,,,,,,,,,,,but the casting gods and the UK weather conspired against me  Slaphead 

[Image: P2010013_zps6bcf10db.jpg]
[Image: P2070019_zpsjwpnpkpr.jpg]
[Image: P2070020_zps2kffmk3w.jpg]
[Image: P1260008_zpsgk0uhsvm.jpg]

Looking GOOD ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mmmmmmmmmmm nope , with my wee eye Bob spied a wee hole  Chin

[Image: Small%20Pin%20Hole_zps78a5zr9c.jpg]

So I cut the casting in half ,,,,,,,,,,,, Slaphead

[Image: P1270010_zpsce0hgkm4.jpg]

Well that was the end of that ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so had to fire up the indoor furnace a knock a bronze one out .

[Image: P2090008_zps6674f5b4.jpg]

A tad of machining .

[Image: p2_zpslb3ynvly.jpg]
[Image: p4_zpscbb7fe90.jpg]
[Image: p5_zps42c6fab3.jpg]
[Image: p8_zpsqkehjheg.jpg]

Sorted , 

[Image: P1040911_zpsdac9ae10.jpg]
[Image: P1040909_zps1aivsf8w.jpg]

And a some of the jobs its done over the years .

Fan wheel boss for the forge . 

[Image: P1080306_zps2471p5ne.jpg]

A new 110T change wheel for my CUB lathe 

[Image: P10105681_zpsh7hiji4l.jpg]
[Image: P1010574_zpsf87byjdw.jpg]
[Image: P1010583_zpsf38a70e7.jpg]

Tapered splines cut into a SS steering wheel boss I made for a lad . 

[Image: P1020074_zpsab588c71.jpg]

Rob
Thanks given by:
just brill Thumbsup
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Words fail me Rob.

Worthy Worthy Worthy Worthy Worthy Worthy Worthy Worthy
Willie
Thanks given by:
Rob,

You're probably getting sick of hearing this but your work is just top notch gorgeous! Thumbsup
Thanks for the pictures of the slotter. When you posted a picture of it earlier in this thread I was going to ask you about it. One of those is on my long list of projects.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ask Rob what kind of camera he uses. All my tools look like heck.
Thanks given by:
(08-19-2015, 08:58 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Ask Rob what kind of camera he uses. All my tools look like heck.

We already know it's a shiny metal camera. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by: