Home Shop Made Tools
Thanks Mike.

You may want to practice on some scrap parts until you get the hang of it. No sense risking real parts while learning the process.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
How can I mess it up?

I'm sure I can find a way; I'd just like to know what to watch out for!
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
Knurling?  Ugh.... let me count the ways I've done it wrong:

- the knurling tool isn't square to the work
- the OD of the work isn't a multiple of the pitch of the knurling wheels and never settles down into a pattern.
- on those cheap-ass 6-wheel/3 pair bump knurl, the axles are undersize, the wheels wobble, and your knurls look like poop.
- on a pinch knurl, you install one wheel of one pitch on the top, get interrupted by a phone call, and install a different pitch on the bottom.  You get an interesting rectangular pattern with that.
- you squeeze the knurl too hard and you get flakes of material coming off the work and the knurls look shaggy.

Here's a neat video on making your own knurl wheels from ClickSpring.

https://youtu.be/i9pD5vIHJ8M

(BTW, are youtube embed codes disabled on MWF?)

a
Thanks given by:
(02-15-2016, 01:55 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote: (BTW, are youtube embed codes disabled on MWF?)

No.

Thanks given by:
I was talking about screwing up the heat treating. I already know how to screw up knurling!
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
Thanks, Ed. It didn't preview correctly, so I just posted the link.
Thanks given by:
parts for that knurler really don't need to be heat treated
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(02-15-2016, 06:06 PM)dallen Wrote: parts for that knurler really don't need to be heat treated

The only parts that would get it would be the knurl carriers.
Mike

Thanks given by:
I used 1/2" brazed on carbide tool bits to make my carriers out of and didn't harden them, used hardened dowel pins for axles and have never had a problem.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Finally made an arbour for the 2-3/4 HSS slitting saws that I bought.  This is the first time I have turned between centres.  

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: