It followed me home ...
hi don't think the wife looks to happy to see it Jawdrop
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(08-30-2015, 09:10 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: For what it's worth, I'm using #2 way lube on mine and some green synthetic water sol "grinding fluid" for coolant (seldom used, mostly grind dry). 

It is worth a lot!! I now know two things about the proper maintenance of the machine than I did yesterday.

Thanks,
Arvid
Thanks given by:
Ever run one? Practice rubbing your tummy, patting your head, chewing gum and walking all at the same time. You can chant a mantra, like "shoulda bought an automatic, shoulda bought an automatic.." Smile

You might find #2 too thick, maybe mix it with AW32/compressor/turbine/mineral oil or just use AW32 straight. My oil pump is busted so I piped in a regular oil can and pump it 7 times at startup. If I do that during finish, the table rides up on the film and grinds too deep. A working pump would provide a constant flow and should behave better.

Did you lift the table yet? Mine just sits there, held by gravity. Heavy. Check the lube distribution and the way wipers. The column screw and vertical ways need lube too. The saddle ways on mine were pretty rusty, looked like it might be junk but electro cleaning turned out okay.

Surface grinders are pretty handy, I hope you find yours handy too.
Thanks given by:
Warning ... if you are expecting Rob Wilson quality then these are not the posts you are looking for. To be honest these posts and "quality" define the word 'oxymoron'  Smile 

I had managed to get the surface grinder into the basement but that was about it. I've finally gotten some time to put some effort into it. The first thing I wanted was a mobile base. This would allow me to move it when I had to ... like during the initial rewiring and setup for the VFD's, etc., but for the most part it will be thought of as a stationary tool.

When I thought about the base I wanted the stationary pads to be far apart but I also wanted the casters to be even further apart. The grinder is top heavy and I was concerned about where the center of gravity might be in relation to a caster axle when 'in transit' across the basement floor. With that in mind, over the next several weekends I developed a mental image of what was needed, looked thru the metal pile, put the 4 x 6 band saw to work, sandblasted the considerable surface rust off the cut up pieces and finally started building the base.

Obligatory picture of weld ...

Eventually it was ready for paint ...

This is a tool base and the primary goal is to have paint on the base with "looks good" not being a consideration. To make this easy on me I put 6 inch long carriage bolts into the caster mounting holes to act as standoffs. This allowed me to lather ... [a verb meaing 'to get paint out of the can and onto the base without any concern what so ever about what it looks like.' A disposable brush, a disposable roller, a disposable [do you see a pattern here] tray, a disposable rag, etc. are all suitable tools for performing this activity.] ... primer one side, flip it over and do the other side in one shot rather than lathering one side, waiting for it to dry, flipping it over and doing the other side.

Note that the standoffs also keep paint from getting in the threads during the lathering process.

Once the primer dried I put on Rustoleum Hammer Finish paint. This is really great stuff. It dries to a reasonably hard finish and the texture hides a tremendous number of painting sins. The only shortcoming I've found is that it takes a couple of days to completely dry. Here I have the pads in the holes from the wrong side so could use them as standoffs while I mounded the casters.

I then flipped it over and was rather surprised to discover that all four casters seem to touch the table at the same time. Guess even a blind squirrel gets lucky with a reasonably flat base ... or something like that. I still have to take the pads off and put them on from the correct side after I took this picture.

Managed to muscle the base from the garage to the basement and did an eyeball check for size.

Bev is becoming quite adept with the pneumatic cylinder on the engine hoist. This allows her to lift the surface grinder while I employ levers and foul language to guide it into the base. My mental design had even taken the bottom edge of the door, the height of the side of the base and the tall pad screw in consideration allowing the door swing open freely. See blind squirrel referenced earlier.

Next on the agenda is the rewiring.
Thanks given by:
Nice work Arvidj
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Arvid,

Are those Mason mounts the 5" ones? That's what I got for my mill.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(01-16-2016, 11:02 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Nice work Arvidj

Indeed. Very nice Arvid. Smiley-signs107

Before long I'll be the only one around here without a surface grinder. Bawling
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-16-2016, 11:38 PM)Highpower Wrote: Before long I'll be the only one around here without a surface grinder.   Bawling

And???????????

Guess you could set up a go fund me campaign  Rotfl
Thanks given by:
(01-17-2016, 12:23 AM)Dr Stan Wrote:
(01-16-2016, 11:38 PM)Highpower Wrote: Before long I'll be the only one around here without a surface grinder.   Bawling

And???????????

Guess you could set up a go fund me campaign  Rotfl

There's an idea!   Chin

First I'll have to do one for a bigger shop to put it in....   Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-16-2016, 11:26 PM)EdK Wrote: Arvid,

Are those Mason mounts the 5" ones? That's what I got for my mill.

Ed

Yes, those are the 5" pads. I also have them under the lathe and the drill press. I was also going to use them under the mill but I think I will be doing something different for that.

I happen to have a set of 3" ones on the shelf. Here's the difference ...

Thanks given by: EdK