Input for End Mill
Finally got my new mill up and running and now I need to obtain some end mills. My only problem is after searching on the internet there are a few choices to make that I have no idea what I need. As for sizes to start off with I think I'll only need a basic 6 piece set then I can add on later as I need them. Material I will be milling most likely will be aluminum and steel, and maybe some plastic.

Right now I am trying to take of a rear sight on a 1938 Mosin Nagant rifle which has the pins soldered in plus most likely 80 years of rust. Anyway, what type of end mills should I be looking for, HSS, 2 flute, 4 flute and any other spec I'm missing?

BTW, I am using R8 collets.
Thanks given by:
Just to be clear, we are talking about removing the rear sight base sleeve from the barrel - correct?
No offense - I just want to make sure you aren't trying to remove the sight ladder from the base. Sometimes folks just aren't aware of how they go together or come apart.   Blush

As far as milling out the cross pin goes, I would suggest using a solid carbide end mill (4 flute, center cutting) and offset your plunge cut slightly (away from the barrel) to avoid cutting a deeper groove in the barrel outside diameter. And crank up the RPMS. Small carbide tooling needs SPEED.

Do yourself a big favor and stay away from the cheap import end mill sets. They are ok for aluminum usually, but can't handle cutting even mild steel in some cases. I found that out the hard way myself as I have several sets of cutters that won't cut anything harder than a pine 2x4. Total waste of money (and time).

Stick to buying from someplace like McMaster Carr, and get decent quality end mills that will do the job in most cases for general use.

Smiley-gen163
Willie
Thanks given by:
Yes Highpower, it's the base I am taking off. I also removed the little set screw that I didn't even see until I had it on the mill.

Will stay away form the cheap ones. Right now I don't think I'll be doing any work that demands perfection but you never know. Thanks
Thanks given by:
if a file will cut it, why not just drill it out
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Personally, I wouldn't buy a set of end mills. I'd buy what I need and buy more as I need them. I learned that lesson the hard way. Buy a set and only a few actually get used. Drill bits are an exception, at least for me.  Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
Got the mount off after milling out the pins and heating the mount to get the solder to melt. What a pain that was.

Still want to buy some end mills and will decide what sizes I really need.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
If you have a tool supply place near you (I have wholesale tool about an hour away) check out their closeout section. I often get end mills for about a buck a piece.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
I know of one tool supply place in my town so I'll try that place and see what they have.
Thanks given by:
Hi Thumb - glad to hear you got the sight off. Personally, I purchased a small selection of 4 flute and two flute Toolmex endmills, which are made in Poland. So far they seem to hold up OK. Like you, I was a little overwhelmed by the selection, so I decided to start with the very basics and then see what I needed to add.

(10-05-2015, 10:03 PM)Vinny Wrote: If you have a tool supply place near you (I have wholesale tool about an hour away) check out their closeout section.  I often get end mills for about a buck a piece.

You Suck

Actually, I shouldn't complain as Russ (wrustle) very generously gifted me a box of assorted HSS and solid carbide endmills.  He also took the time to test each one of them to make sure they worked Big Grin  

I would hate to think what it would have cost me to buy them here Yikes
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Well, the local shop here has end mills but at $24 each I think I'll have to go online to find a better price.
Thanks given by: