Chuck storage
Hi,
This is the last one on stuff like this, but they all may give ideas for storage.
Ray, you can now see why I am sick of house paint, LOL
These are made the same as the rotary table ones, but most of these have to go into the filing draw so hight was a problem. Because of that I had to use a thin base and lid to get them in.
The bottoms have a false floor with a cut out to locate the chucks in the centre and the cut out in the lid was only to keep the height down.
It's so much easier being able to open up a draw and hooking up a different chuck with out even moving anywhere. The one on the floor is the 10 inch chuck on a face plate and was to big and heavy for the draws, so it lives under the lathe on wheels.

[Image: Picture2522Large.jpg]

[Image: Picture2562Large.jpg]

[Image: Picture2566Large.jpg]

[Image: Picture2568Large.jpg]

[Image: Picture2569Large.jpg]

[Image: Picture2574Large.jpg]

[Image: Picture2575Large.jpg]

[Image: Picture2583Large.jpg]

Dave
Thanks given by: Highpower , EdK
Dave,

Very neat:)
They do look good:)

DaveH
Thanks given by:
Very neat indeed. I know if I did that I would have to mark the outside of the boxes in big white letters just what was in them, as I'd otherwise forget.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Guys
Pixman,
It looks confusing, but I know where they are from there location and size of the box. The top draw has the regularly used 3 jaw and direct mount 4 jaw, and the bottom draw has the back plate mount 4 jaw and the face plate with the rotary table tailstock over the back as it's not used often. The other 250mm 4 jaw is on the floor on wheels.
Mostly I only use the top draw and it makes it easy to get to the most used ones.

Dave
Thanks given by:
If you don't mind me asking, why have both a direct mount 4-jaw independent chuck and an adapter plate chuck? I have just one, a 12" (actual 300mm) Atlas that uses and adapter plate. Given that they are independent jaw, I know that it's not a matter of minimizing runout. Just wondering why you keep one of each style. Are they widely-differing diameters?
Thanks given by:
Sorry missed your question, the back plate 4 jaw came with the lathe when it was new, and the direct mount I picked up with a heap of cheap gear for the same style of lathe that was sold on ebay locally.

The direct mount is lighter to change over so I use that all the time now, but the back plate mount has a slightly larger centre hole and will also take jobs deeper in because of it's thickness. So for the odd job that needs the extra capacity I use the back plate mount chuck, but all other times I use the direct mount.
I never sell tools so both chucks are staying, LOL

I had to re machine the D1-4 taper on the direct mount because the it was a sloppy fit on the spindle.

The 250mm 4 jaw is for the really big jobs on this lathe and I don't run it over 1200rpm, because it's not meant for a lathe this size (12 x 36), but for the odd big job I was having trouble fitting it does it's job. This chuck also goes onto the 250mm rotary table, and I bought it to do both jobs.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Very Nicely Done Dave Big Grin

That an idea i could use as i am running out of shop space , i could box the chucks then stack them Idea

Rob

Thanks given by:
Thanks Rob,
The main reason I built them all was rust. In my shop everything uncovered rusts.

Dave
Thanks given by: