Hydraulic press accessories
No engineers in my family so...
I have been searching the net for the best way to raise my HF 20 ton shop press several inches to get it to a comfortable working height and add some casters at the same time. Square tube, angle iron, rectangular tube... what to do?  Chin
A lot of what I have seen looks a bit sketchy to me. Those frames are pretty top heavy.

While doing that I ran across this picture of an adjustable height tray that would come in REAL handy for holding tools and parts instead of trying to balance them on top of the press frame or the platen while you work. One of those 'Now why didn't I think of that!!!???' moments.   Blush

[Image: 410127609.jpg]

Haven't even started the 'lift' project yet, and here I am thinking about the tray project already!   Bash

Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by: arvidj
Thanks a lot Willie. Now I've got yet another project to add to the list. Rant

Ed
Thanks given by:
(10-31-2015, 10:17 AM)EdK Wrote: Thanks a lot Willie. Now I've got yet another project to add to the list.  Rant

Ed

+1
Thanks given by:
(10-31-2015, 05:26 AM)Highpower Wrote: Those frames are pretty top heavy.
Rotfl

Mine is very top heavy, I have to be careful moving it.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
 a child of the 60's and 50's and a bit of the 40's Smile
Thanks given by:
(10-31-2015, 10:17 AM)EdK Wrote: Thanks a lot Willie. Now I've got yet another project to add to the list.  Rant

Ed

Muuuwhhhaaahhaaahhaaa.... Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(10-31-2015, 12:03 PM)DaveH Wrote:
(10-31-2015, 05:26 AM)Highpower Wrote: Those frames are pretty top heavy.
Rotfl

Mine is very top heavy, I have to be careful moving it.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Which is why I'm trying to figure out the best way to raise it without having to go too wide on the base and taking up a lot of floor space (that I don't have already). Chin
Willie
Thanks given by:
When I get the Tuits*, I'll be putting a tray at the bottom for the hydraulic pump and reservoir (scored a nice 1 HP 2000 psi pump on Ebay for a tenner) - weight at the bottom should stabilise it a bit!

Dave H. (the other one)

* the press is currently several 5-foot lengths of very hefty channel and angle, that may change soon...
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
I added 1/2 inch thick plates under the angle iron feet, then bolted Footmaster Casters to the plates, making sure that at least two of the bolts went through the angle irons.  As the floor was un-even, I added a hockey puck under at least one caster.

Rolled into position then levelled!  I have had no problems with even thinking of tipping and this is a 50 Ton with the hydraulic power pack mounted on the top.

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
One could also counter balance it by including a sheet metal box to hold water or concrete.
Thanks given by:
Walter, now that's a PRESS! Thumbsup

I still haven't decided how I want to put a base together yet. I bought a set of casters for it a long time ago, but after looking at a lot of pics on the net of other folks presses I think they are too small. So I bought a larger, wider set of caster$ that will roll a lot better and be more stable than the smaller ones. The *#$^@!!- casters cost more than the press did! Smiley-signs131
Willie
Thanks given by: