Help identify dividing head
Pete,

I recommend you put together a wooden box to hold it on the way back to Australia. Include a couple of handles too.

Probably need to assemble it with screws (at least the top) so you could open it for the curious security personnel.

Stan
Thanks given by: Pete O
I've continued to keep an eye out for a universal dividing head to have some fun with on my mill. The original Elliott / Victoria head that went with my U2 mill comes up occasionally on auction sites in the UK but I have all but abandoned the idea of getting one while we are over there in August as the shipping is a nightmare- I'd be better off buying a new Chinese one here.
Anyway I have noticed one thing about every used universal dividing head that comes on the market, they are ALL missing the gear sets and banjos. I'm looking at another universal head of unknown make that has come on the market near me, once again- no gears or banjo. What the heck do people do with the stuff?
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Is shipping from the UK all that difficult? I had a cylinder head shipped not long ago and there were no problems and the cost wasn't as bad as I had thought.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Well I thought it would be acheivable, I've imported some heavy automotive parts too. The biggest setback I encountered was that most international courier comanies refuse to deal with private individuals. I got referred to a few different shipping agents and made several enquiries based on internet searches and recommendations- most replies were of the 'not interested' variety, and the few quotes that I did get were ridiculous, in the order of $400 to $500 for sea freight, and that was with me dropping a packaged item at their offices and picking it up from the wharf at this end. I've gone off the idea of trying to pick up a dividing head while we are in England this year as I could see myself spending a lot of time (bearing in mind we are going there to spend time with my daughter) and then being unable to send the thing out of the country.

Thanks given by:
Air freight?
Thanks given by:
The Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time" comes to mind Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Just remember the line, ”when we went to put in the bolts, all the holes was gone!"
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2016, 08:22 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Air freight?

how 'bout checked luggage?
Thanks given by:
Quote:how 'bout checked luggage?

Interesting thought, i'll have to look into the weight allowances. Might be able to slip it into my wife's suitcase. Rotfl

Thanks given by: