Help identify dividing head
Pete - let me know if you want to sell your Vertex
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
You might look up the patent number, Pete. Prefix the number with "US" (or whatever mfr country code is appropriate) and see what pops up on google.
Thanks given by:
(12-31-2015, 10:45 PM)Pete O Wrote: It appears to be a quality head, I may keep it as my Vertex one would probably be easier to sell, although I have a tailstock for the vertex and not for this one. Don't know how big of a deal that is?

The only times I have used a dividing head tail stock was for cutting a gear which was made integral to a shaft, instead of two separate pieces.
Thanks given by:
I almost always use an arbor between centers. There's a small advantage in this with the ability to fine-tune things, the opposing bolts on the dog allowing a small shift. Useful when repairing gear teeth - center the cutter normally and then using the dog to rotate the work into position.
Thanks given by:
I spent this afternoon cleaning all the components of this dividing head and reassembling it. Seems like a nice bit of gear, however after having dismantled it to the last screw I still have not found any makers mark at all. All the bolts are whitworth sizes so I'm guessing it is British or Australian, who knows.
I've decided to put it on ebay, I think I will keep an eye out for an original Victoria / Elliott universal head to go with my mill, will keep the Vertex semi-universal until then.
Came up okay considering I decided against painting it. Works perfectly too now that it is not full of antique grease.

Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Pete - what are you asking for it? PM me with a price please.
Thanks given by:
Pete, please do try to work something out with Darren on that dividing head! He's deserving of such a thing, in so many ways!
Thanks given by: Mayhem
Thanks Ken - Pete and I have been conversing via PM and if the planets align for him, I'll be a very happy camper Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Yep there's been a bit of to-and-fro regarding the dividing head, I ended up moving this one along on eBay with a reasonable return for the day's work I had put into it. Darren has his eyes on my Vertex head!
I'm a bit taken with the idea of having a universal one on my mill, as it has the swiveling table so it would open up some fun possibilities. I was on the verge of bidding on an original Elliott universal dividing head that was on eBay in the UK, the seller was willing to crate it for me but I was not able to find a shipping option at anything approaching a realistic cost. The Elliott dividing heads seem relatively common in the UK (there were 3 on eBay last week) but unobtainable here. My daughter has just accepted a job offer in London and will be flying out in about a fortnight so my plan is try and track down a complete Elliott unit that I can collect when we visit her in the northern summer. My Vertex dividing head can then head west Smile
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Pete,

The dividing heads that can be linked to table drive do afford the capability for making spiral cut gears of all kinds, and more. I hope you're able to secure one.

Ken
Thanks given by: