Machining Nylon-Unattended
Machining some nylon piston end caps for McDonnell Douglas, an aerospace company. Had a couple hundred pieces to make and wanted them to run completely unattended. With proper feeds, speeds and tool path geometries it is easily attainable. Some folks will look at this video and think, "What's the big deal?". I look at it and think, "Wow,...now that's some seriously easy money being made right there." Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Russ

Check us out on Facebook and give us a "Like" 

Crosby Machine Company, Inc

Thanks given by:
What type of tooling did you use Russ? Insert with a sharp point or HSS?

Ed
Thanks given by:
(11-17-2015, 07:08 PM)EdK Wrote: What type of tooling did you use Russ? Insert with a sharp point or HSS?

Ed

Hi Ed! 

Actually, they are Walter aluminum specific inserts, for both the turning and cutoff.

Both have razor sharp edges, but the real secret is.............low RPM's, and coolant line adjustments.............to keep the strings from winding around the part.

It may sound fast in the video, but the max RPM is actually only 2,000.

The turning IPR = .010" and same with the cutoff.

The only difference between turning and cutoff is I peck the cutoff to break the string.

It happens so fast you really can't see it......although, now that I've mentioned it.......if you go back and watch...........you'll see it!
Best Regards,
Russ

Thanks given by: EdK
By the way Ed..............what is this HSS you mention?????   Rotfl
Best Regards,
Russ

Thanks given by:
(11-17-2015, 07:24 PM)wrustle Wrote: By the way Ed..............what is this HSS you mention?????   Rotfl

Rotfl

I suspected you'd be using aluminum specific inserts with sharp tips.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(11-17-2015, 07:29 PM)EdK Wrote:
(11-17-2015, 07:24 PM)wrustle Wrote: By the way Ed..............what is this HSS you mention?????   Rotfl

Rotfl

I suspected you'd be using aluminum specific inserts with sharp tips.

Ed

Actually Ed, the tip is a .03" radius.  the chip breaker itself is razor sharp, and that is what gets the material to "peel" off in a steady strand that can be directed by the coolant flow into the bed of the machine instead of wrapping around either the part or the spindle.
Best Regards,
Russ

Thanks given by:
By "sharp" I was referring to the edge not the tip radius. I didn't say it very well though. Blush

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hmmm - I don't think you can call it unattended Russ - I could see the reflection of the cameraman in the window Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: