clamp for a v-block
I'm making a (sort-of) copy of the SB Lathe Tool Grinding Block. The original had a square, broached hole for each size of toolbit. I can't go there, not at $100 for one square broach!

So, I turned down a cylinder, with a larger end. The less said about the quality of the turning, the better. I did this a while back, when I knew even less than I do, now. I'll mill a slot for the toolbit.

Now I'm faced with the problem of how to secure it, while I mill the channel. The "over-the-top" clamp that came with the v-blocks would get in the way of the spindle. I saw a picture where someone had machined a "C' block to go in the slots in the side of the block, and tapped it for hold down bolts.

Worked great! Now I can clamp it in the vise, indicate it properly, and mill my channel.
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by: aRM
Looks good and if it works then that is all that you can ask for.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Veddy Crevah, Mista Bond!
Thanks given by:
Great work mike.  Dont worry about finishes and other refinements yet in your new en devour in this hobby, as already mentioned as long as it works its a first class result.  keep making tools as you are doing and practice your skills will come naturally..

square holes are common in the machining environment and very useful for countless reasons, broaches are as you found very expensive yet not hard to make... simple turning skills and a little black magic with a heat gun can get you any broach you need and they are fun to make.

Keep up the good work sir..

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Anthony,
Can you point me to a video on making a broach? The only one I found was pretty rough. It worked, after a fashion, but I'd like to think it can be done better.
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
Make a slotting adapter for your lathe or mill. No broaches needed. One is on my long list of projects.

Edward
Thanks given by:
http://www.sherline.com/tip20.htm

This is how i do it.. its pretty straight forward.. 

The hardest thing for you would be doing the taper.... but your tailstock will have to be moved over one day anyway so give it a go..  putting it back would be a great lesson in alignment its not hard with coaching from people on here or research on the net, its certainly very healthy to know how to align your tailstock because in the future if your lathe work is not coming in on size this is more than likely the reason... this would be a fun project for you to make filled with allot of valuable learning lessons.. 

If you decide to make one, make either a 1/4'' or 3/8'' broach or better both as your all set up! you will never stop using them... then you will be able to make a nice set of boring bars for your inventory.

Lathe slotters are ok but on small hobby lathe they are abusive if you use the saddle type, the yolk lever type would be fine but the investment of tool making time is quiet considerable.... get a small shaper is the way to go...

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by: