Setting Up My PM935 Mill
Well when you're as short as I am, working the draw bar can be more of a challenge.  Smile
I can reach the knee crank without a step ladder, not so with the draw bar.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I'm 5' 8" and have a low center of gravity (somewhat fat), so the drawbar can be a issue for me too. I avoided much of that issue by going to a ER40 style holder (actually a DIN 6188 holder), so now the tightening of the collets is directly in front of me.
jack
Thanks given by:
I've been too lazy to take the spacer out of the column, Its a stretch to get to the drawbar when Im standing on a milk carton.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I have a 7" riser block in the Jet mill, I too need a crate or 5 gallon pail to get to the drawbar.
jack
Thanks given by:
(06-25-2015, 06:23 PM)EdK Wrote: Mike,

Do you have the part number and brand for the cylinder you used? I want to get one so I have it when my mill arrives.

Also, what is the diameter of the base? The drawing doesn't show that dimension.

Oops! Never mind. I watched your video again and you said it was 6.8" in diameter.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, I don't have the part number for the pnuematic cylinder as I bought it from ebay based on stroke, port size and thread size.  It was a 1" stroke, 1/8" NPT threaded port, double acting (not the spring return style) and had a 3/8-24 threaded end on the rod.

You may want to check McMaster Carr's catalog and see if something fits the bill there.  When I bought from ebay there were two in the lot and one looked to be slightly used, I used one for my original design, then had a hairbrained idea of building me another one (my current setup) after watching a youtube video and seeing a different design.  I had a gentleman on garagejournal.com forum ask to purchase my original power drawbar which I sold to him as he too purchased a PM935TV recently.

(06-25-2015, 07:00 PM)the penguin Wrote: I must be getting old, the knee powerfeed is the one I'm really thankful for. Cranking the table up and down is not high on my list of things to do. I always lower the table as low as possible to making the change over to of from the rotary table, as easy as possible.

I thought about getting the power Z-axis (knee) but I already blew my budget to hell so decided against it.  It really isn't that big of a deal for the majority of the work I do.  I don't find myself having to go to either extreme much, maybe 6-8 inches in the middle or upper middle of its travel is where I spend most of my time.

I have to admit, last night I used my mill for about an hour to machine a new trailer plug mounting bracket and I am soooooo glad I built the riser stand to get it at a comfortable height. I am also glad I don't have to reach for the drawbar and especially happy to not have to stand on anything to reach the drawbar. I see that as being a safety concern or trip hazard when not being used. Another reason I dropped all my air and power for the mill from my shop ceiling as I hate cords running along the shop floor and becoming a trip hazard (besides the fact that hate the appearance of cords running everywhere). I guess that is the industrial mechanice in me and having to deal with 5S and process safety management for the past couple of decades. Chin

Mike.

Thanks given by: EdK
Thanks Mike. That should be enough details on the cylinder for me to source one.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-26-2015, 08:31 AM)EdK Wrote: Thanks Mike. That should be enough details on the cylinder for me to source one.

Ed

No problem Ed. Glad to help, sorry I don't have a part number.

If I can be of any further assistance please don't hessitate to ask.

Mike.

Thanks given by: EdK
My new mill may be here sooner than I expected. I thought Matt had said 8 weeks but I went back and reread the emails and he actually said " The current shipment you would be on will be here late July or in to August.". Time sure flies. I guess I better get my butt in gear and get the area ready.  Yikes

Ed
Thanks given by:
Clean that basement  Whip
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Looking forward to seeing your new machine arrive, get partially disassembled, moved, fully reassembled and running, Ed.

That should kill a couple hours and you'll be anxious to put it into regular use.

Big Grin
Thanks given by: