Setting Up My PM935 Mill
(09-01-2015, 05:43 PM)EdK Wrote: No luck with craigslist. The problem seems to be the depth. I need 8" deep.

Ed

Ed, I can't remember the part # but I had the same issue, depth. Found a NEMA 1 enclosure at my local Platt Electric store to house my VFD for my lathe.

Mike.

Thanks given by: EdK
While sitting here waiting for the mill to arrive, I've been Googling about ways of moving the mill to the basement. I think I found one that I can do mostly myself. Just to be safe, I'd want help with the large main casting.

http://bullfire.net/Mill/Milling%20Machine.html

There's a straight shot from my garage to the basement stairs with a small landing at the top. I only have 5 stairs to go down versus 16 the guy in the link had. This looks like a much better and safer option, and less work, than trying to transport the pieces from the garage around to the back side of the house and in through a patio door. I have a split level house so the yard slopes on both sides making it difficult to transport anything heavy around to the back.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Just got a call from the driver. One half hour and counting. Smiley-dancenana

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2015, 02:11 PM)EdK Wrote: Just got a call from the driver. One half hour and counting.  

Ed

Drool  Drool   Drool   Drool   Drool   Drool 

Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
I thought it was going to be a truck that could back up into my driveway like the one that delivered my lathe years ago. No way that was going to happen, it was a genuine full sized tractor trailer.  Jawdrop

The driver  was super nice about the whole thing. He said he'd wheel it into the garage, not a problem. I was a little concerned about getting it over the street gutter which are just cement valleys for rain drainage. He pulled, I pushed and it was, thankfully, uneventful getting it into the garage. There was no visible damage to the crate but I wanted to pop one side off to make sure all was well. Easier said then done. Matt did a really good job of crating it up. I had a hell of a time getting one corner pried open so I could have a peak, this while the driver patiently waited. The peak revealed no damage so I gave the driver $20 for helping me out. He said for residential deliveries they are required to put the item in the garage if that's where the customer wants it and that he couldn't accept money. I told him I wouldn't tell anyone if he wouldn't. I still had to insist he take it and he finally did, reluctantly.

So I started to tear into the skin of the crate to get it removed and it's a challenge for sure. It's 90 degrees with a dew point in the low 70s so I can't work too long before I have to take a break. It's supposed to be even worse the next couple of day, just my luck. Bash

Having consumed a large glass of ice water, it's time to attack the crate again.

Here are a couple of pictures to get the game started. Lots more to come.

Ed

Thanks given by:
A while back I read on the Burke Mill group that a guy had to move a mill out of a basement and after transporting it, putting it into another basement. He rented a stair climber made for moving machines. Two hours or so getting it out of the first basement (the building was old and he had to brace all of the steps), then no time at all putting it in the second.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
The crate skin is mostly removed. All except the back piece which is too close to the wall to get off and it won't interfere with the dis-assembly anyway. Plus, I've had enough for this evening. I can't take this humidity like I could when I was younger.

Ed

These signs were on all four sides of the crate.

My favorite sign. It allowed me to orient the mill so I could have access to it so I could run it prior to dis-assembly and access for the cherry picker for dis-assembly.

Some heavy reading of the 26 page "manual"/parts list.

Thanks given by:
Very nice Ed. I'm looking forward to seeing more as you get it into place and start using it.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
This is exciting! I'm just so happy for you Ed, so well deserved. Now how will you be compensating SWMBO?

Smiley-eatdrink004 5176 Thumbsup
(09-02-2015, 06:46 PM)PixMan Wrote: This is exciting! I'm just so happy for you Ed, so well deserved. Now how will you be compensating SWMBO?

Smiley-eatdrink004 5176 Thumbsup

Thanks Ken. I'm so looking forward to getting this mill set up and running.

SWMBO doesn't exist, yet, so no compensation needed.  Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by: