need a new dial inidicator
My own damn fault, I jammed my Last Word and the clip snapped.    Bash  It looks like that entire spindle needs to be replaced. Long Island Indicator want $45 plus shipping for the part; I'm afraid to ask what they want for the repair.

A lot of forum posts give the LW a pretty bad review. Any comments or opinions here?

Since I really only need it for things like indicating the vise, I took a chance on the TÜRLEN from Amazon. (The free two-day shipping can't be beat!) If I hate it, I can upgrade without losing too much.
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
You need a dial test indicator for indicating a vice. Dial indicators like the one you chose will work, but they are awkward to hold and take a lot more space. As far as it being a good indicator, only time will tell. Some of the Chinese knockoffs work, some don't. One thing it doesn't have though is jeweled pivots, so it will require more force to move. You pretty much get what you pay for.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
$45 to repair isn't so bad.
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2015, 12:28 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote: $45 to repair isn't so bad.

That's for the part, no shipping, if I do the repair. I'm not sure I trust my bad eyes and shakey hands!
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2015, 12:13 PM)TomG Wrote: You need a dial test indicator for indicating a vice. Dial indicators like the one you chose will work, but they are awkward to hold and take a lot more space. As far as it being a good indicator, only time will tell. Some of the Chinese knockoffs work, some don't. One thing it doesn't have though is jeweled pivots, so it will require more force to move. You pretty much get what you pay for.

Tom

Tom, this is the one I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/TÜRLEN-Precision-I...+indicator

It says 7 jewels.
Mike

Thanks given by:
hi its a pity that you is not in the uk as I fix them
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2015, 01:37 PM)wawoodman Wrote:
(12-03-2015, 12:13 PM)TomG Wrote: You need a dial test indicator for indicating a vice. Dial indicators like the one you chose will work, but they are awkward to hold and take a lot more space. As far as it being a good indicator, only time will tell. Some of the Chinese knockoffs work, some don't. One thing it doesn't have though is jeweled pivots, so it will require more force to move. You pretty much get what you pay for.

Tom

Tom, this is the one I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/TÜRLEN-Precision-I...+indicator

It says 7 jewels.

It looks like that one should work just fine Mike. The only Turlen I found on Amazon was something different.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2015, 06:05 PM)krv3000 Wrote: hi its a pity that you is not in the uk as I fix them

You're the first person I thought of!
Mike

Thanks given by:
Browne & Sharpe, BESTEST, TESATAST, and SPI all make very good to excellent indicators. Since Starrett has moved most of its manufacturing to China (and maintain made in the US prices) I'm done with them.
Thanks given by:
There is a book called: Repair of mechanical dial indicator and calipers by Michael T Yamamoto. I got mine from e Bay.
It has an exploded view of your dti among other things. I have few Gem dti's that are to all practical purpose the same and have been able to clean and restore these with the help of the book. The construction is very simple.
Flosi Guðmundsson

Thanks given by: