Face plate work holding awkward odjects
Not my idea it came from Mr Harrold Hall. I have a project coming up that will extend the reach of my 6'' four jaw chuck  I need to hold a 6 sided object and i need it to be controlled pretty tight so i made these nice side forcing clamps.

[Image: FACE%20PLATE%20HARROLD%20HALL%206_zpsnnjqqaa5.jpg]

Not hard to make and very useful..

[Image: FACE%20PLATE%20HARROLD%20HALL%205_zpsfxwl1e2r.jpg]

as you can see they are pretty versatile....

[Image: FACE%20PLATE%20HARROLD%20HALL%204_zpsmwahzmnp.jpg]

[Image: FACE%20PLATE%20HARROLD%20HALL%203_zpsclyrwlie.jpg]

[Image: FACE%20PLATE%20HARROLD%20HALL%202_zpsa8vallpn.jpg]

[Image: FACE%20PLATE%20HARROLD%20HALL%202_zpsa8vallpn.jpg]

The slots in the one clamp allow the pressure to be applied perpendicular to the job via the grub screws . The other block clamps are just  buttress blocks, Align your work piece with a prick mark, center it with a carbide center, squeeze it in and clamp the piece accordingly. 

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
The clamp with the grub screws will hold it in the other direction but what about the other? I'd hate to see that spacer you've got in there go flying out, or is it part of the part you're machining or the one clamp?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Vinny..

One force applied from the clamping block is all thats needed.. this set up is tighter than a ducks arse. The only trick is to squeeze the job in place via a center from the tailstock.. you dont have the luxury of a movable jaw in both directions... its good for about .002 a hit.. thats really all you need.

Anthony.
Thanks given by:

You lost me Anthony. Where does the 4-jaw chuck come into this?
Willie
Thanks given by:
Anthony, I hope it's tight. Do me a favor, wear a face shield when you first turn it on and say off to the side! I got hit with a chuck jaw once, it wasn't fun.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
There's too much stuff waiting to come flying out. Both the spacer AND the part need to be clamped to the faceplate. I'd one-up you, but no pic, it didn't happen.
Thanks given by:
Highpower..

This face plate is wider and has more reach than my 4 jaw, that's the reason why i made them because I could not use my four jaw. 

Vinny..

Great safety advice and I will be sure to take it.... Thanks.

Sunset.

I just threw the block and HHS tool steel as a spacer on the plate to take a picture for a visual reference only showing how they work. This is not my set up.... my project is only about 3/16 higher than the blocks.

Anthony.
Thanks given by:
It's actually a centuries old setup. Generally the setscrew is a pointy one and tilted down at 5 degrees.
Thanks given by:
Anthony,

Side clamps are useful and handy on occasion but as Vinny was alluding, don't trust them for heavy cuts. They seem to clamp tightly but I have had parts move and come loose while using them, so I only use them for light set-ups. In your set-up specifically, the angle plate has tremendous leverage on the clamps and if you take a heavy cut near the top, it will pull out. Yikes

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(12-27-2015, 09:52 AM)ieezitin Wrote: Highpower..

This face plate is wider and has more reach than my 4 jaw, that's the reason why i made them because I could not use my four jaw. 

Anthony.

OK thanks Anthony. I guess I took it too literally when you mentioned extending the reach of your 4-jaw chuck. I though it was a post about modifying a 4-jaw chuck. Blush

I have to go along with the other guys concerns as well. I bought a set of those "Mite-bite" clamps for my mill table. (The non pull-down type.) I can easily see having a heavy end mill cut pulling the part right off the table. And that is with a stationary part! Spinning the part only adds to the fun. Blush
Willie
Thanks given by: