a couple of mig questions
(12-27-2015, 02:11 PM)Vinny Wrote:  Funny thing is, HF doesn't sell a flow meter, they just have a straight regulator for their welders.

Ahhh.... but they DO Vinn!   Smile
Even though it has two gauges on it, it's still a flow meter. Note that the left gage shows cu-ft/hour not PSI.

http://www.harborfreight.com/regulator-gauge-94841.html

What they don't have is a flow meter for straight CO2 like this one: http://www.usaweld.com/CO2-Welding-Flowm...20-co2.htm
This one will screw directly on to a CO2 bottle - no adapter needed.

Oh, and here is the adapter for the other way round... CGA 320 - CGA 580 http://www.amazon.com/Western-Carbon-Dio...B0024LIUDM
Willie
Thanks given by:
Holy smokes! I know of alot of people that thought the same thing I did. Thanks for pointing that out!!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Hey Vinny,

I just noticed something I didn't see before.    Blush
Did your HF regulator come with an extra adapter by chance?   Chin

This sure looks like a CGA-320 inlet fitting to me.   Smile
Come to think of it, I may have an extra one of those floating around here...... Smiley-think005

Willie
Thanks given by:
No, just the 580. I thought about swapping it but couldn't get the one off of the old CO2 regulator.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
(12-27-2015, 03:52 PM)Vinny Wrote: No, just the 580.  I thought about swapping it but couldn't get the one off of the old CO2 regulator.

Yeah, they loc-tite those suckers in there pretty tight! I had to rebuild the acetylene regulator on my torch set not too long ago, and had to put some serious heat to the regulator body to get the gauges to break loose. Not a job for the faint of heart that's for sure.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Well I got that piece welded up last nite. Still getting spatter, could that be too low pressure? I'm not posting a pic, my welds are butt ugly!
Thanks given by:
Could be, but you will have more spatter with strait CO2 in any event. You can try more flow, but watch your arc length and stick out as well. I don't do much with flux core, but I have heard that the gun position isn't as critical...

paul

ARS WB9HCO
Thanks given by:
Stick out was around 1/4-3/8", can't say I remember what the arc length was. I was paying more attention to what I was doing. The spatter is less than what I was getting with flux core tho.
Thanks given by:
You know the rule dude. No pics.....   Smiley-nono

Don't expect MIG to be spatter free - because it isn't. And like Paul said it's normal to get more spatter with straight CO2 compared to an Argon/CO2 mix. The arc burns hotter under straight CO2. The fact that you are getting less spatter than with flux-core shows you are on the right track.   Smiley-eatdrink004

p.s.
Keeping track of your arc length is part of "Paying attention to what you are doing". Smile
Willie
Thanks given by:
Couple of observations.
The roller(s) in the machine should be stamped as to wire size.
Some rollers will handle both .023/.025 and .030/.035 just by flipping the rollers.
Lastly, you can have too much gas flow. Too much will cause the gas to swirl around and suck in air which will give you a terrible weld. I usually have mine set to 18-20 CFH in a quiet (no breeze) work area.
Thanks given by: