Zyto Lathe Pics
(12-30-2015, 09:31 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: The chart is saying to stack 20:30 tooth gears for an 8 TPI thread, with a 40 on the spindle and 60 on the leadscrew. When you get it setup, run a scratch on some scrap and use a thread pitch gauge to see that it's right.

Or a dial indicator to measure an inch and count the turns of the spindle - turning the spindle by hand.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
ok will take some pics tomorrow
Thanks given by:
this is the end of my lathe I have another 9 gears as well as whats on the lathe now

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
its set up very slow as it is for turning with good finish
Thanks given by:
Ok, I labeled the gears in the pic below.  It looks rare that you'd need to change the spindle gear, unless you cut alot of coarse threads.  Using the 1st Stud as an example, the large gear is the Driven gear and the small is the Driver.  It's the driver because it's what's driving the next gear in the train.  On the 2nd stud, you can't see the Driver gear because it's behind the Driven.

So to cut say a 32 TPI thread, you'd leave the spindle gear at the 20T gear that's there now.  On the 1st Stud you would pair a 40T and a 25T gear together and set them so that the 40T gear meshes with the Spindle gear.  Put a 50T gear on the Lead Screw to mesh with the 25T gear on the 1st Stud.  Adjust the banjo (the thing that the studs mount to) and the stud to make everything mesh.

If you were doing a 16 TPI thread, note that there are no gears on the chart for the studs.  Fit one gear on the stud to mesh with both the spindle and lead screw gears.  That extra gear is referred to as the Idler gear.

On occasion, you may find the Lead Screw gear is in the wrong place to mesh with the Idler, there should be a spacer on the lead screw that you'd move to either the front or back of the lead screw gear so they will align.  One time that would happen is when you switch from 16 to 32 TPI setups.

On those occasions where you only need one stud, just remove the 2nd stud and set it aside.  If the 1st stud won't move far enough to mesh with both gears, move it where the 2nd Stud would go.

Hope that made sense.

[Image: zytogears2.jpg]
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
one day I will get the hang of it many thanks for the help and have a happy new year to you all
Thanks given by: