Belt Sander 2000x50 / 72"x2"
Evening Chaps  Big Grin

It being to cold for shop work in the evenings ,especially when one has been out in the cold and wet all day .I thought I would make a start on my belt sander project , 

I have just about all the materials about 95%  . The last to arrive was the VFD and the 2.2Kw 2800rpm flange mount motor . 

[Image: P1100782_zpsxw9dmxiy.jpg]

I bummed a wee bit of 180 mm dia  ally bar to make the drive pulley and a larger contact wheel from .

[Image: P1100797_zpskmmzdkp3.jpg]

And these  are some of those toxic to North American belts  Big Grin  , I hear Marmite and Vegemite are also banned LOL ( I personally love the stuff )   

[Image: P1070987_zpsiye1jyzw.jpg]

The wheels I probably will probably not use , I plan to make my own ,part of  that missing 5% is rubber  Drool

So the design so far , this is still very much a work in progress as I have a lot of ideas to flesh out . 

[Image: Untitled1_zpsa374gfql.jpg]
[Image: Belt%20Sander._zpspqtri1c4.jpg]
[Image: Untitled_zpszrkda9ny.jpg]

The flat platen .

[Image: preview3_zpsqkouyrgl.jpg]
[Image: Untitled2_zpszuypx25t.jpg]

Cheers Rob
Thanks given by:
Done a wee bit work on the three contact wheel head and the larger 8" contact wheel designs .

The yellow line depicts the belt path ,the various ways it can be laced . 

[Image: Belt%20Sander4_zps8muixqhc.jpg]
[Image: Belt%20Sander3_zpsbi8yygdh.jpg]
[Image: Belt%20Sander1_zpsaxbdakei.jpg]
[Image: Belt%20Sander2_zpslruiffnf.jpg]

The above will have  70mm,100mm and 130mm rubber contact wheels . 

Cheers Rob  Smiley-eatdrink004
Thanks given by:
Looking good Rob. I'll be watching this thread since one of those tools is on my long list of projects.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Are you planning on buying or making the contact wheels?

Fine looking belt grinder! My own belt grinder build stalled. :(
Thanks given by:
(01-21-2016, 04:51 PM)EdK Wrote: Looking good Rob. I'll be watching this thread since one of those tools is on my long list of projects.

Ed

I hear you Ed ,,,,,,,,,,,,, the list is long and time is short  Slaphead

(01-21-2016, 11:14 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote: Are you planning on buying or making the contact wheels?

Fine looking belt grinder!  My own belt grinder build stalled.  :(

Hi Al , I am planning on casting my own wheels in Urethane  , just pondering on what Durometer to get , probably a Shore A 50  ish lol . 

How far along is your build ?  

Cheers Rob  Cool
Thanks given by:
Looks good Rob,  Thumbsup  except for the last pic, .................. you just put that in to test us Big Grin 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
 a child of the 60's and 50's and a bit of the 40's Smile
Thanks given by:
(01-22-2016, 01:41 PM)DaveH Wrote: Looks good Rob,  Thumbsup  except for the last pic, .................. you just put that in to test us Big Grin 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

Cheers Dave ,     whats wrong with the last pic mate  17428 looks good to me . 

Rob Popcorn
Thanks given by:
All the grinding debris and dirt on the belt will get embedded into the two polyurethane wheels.

Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
 a child of the 60's and 50's and a bit of the 40's Smile
Thanks given by:
Hi Dave , 

That's not a problem as the rubber contact wheels are consumable ,and being rubber it does not mess with the belts sanding grit/medium  as a solid wheel would , 

the reason for lacing the belt in such a  way means the belt conforms to more of the  wheel circumference  .instead of just 45 degrees of contact there is 180 degrees of contact .

Some of the wheels I will be making will be down to one inch in diameter so without lacing under two wheels there would be very little radius to work with . 

Clear as mud , lol 

Cheers Rob
Thanks given by:
You can always cast extra wheels, if the double-loop puts too much wear on the contact wheels.

I've considered a similar belt arrangement for a tube-notching fixture for a belt grinder.

I bought all the bits & pieces (almost said "bits & Bobs, but don't want to offend any Roberts), and have the main frame built.

It's the work table(s) which have stalled me. I want to have one accessory table which the work is clamped to the table, and the table slides on rails -- sort of like a surface grinder. The problem is I want it to be "universal", i.e. tilt in 2 axis. It's getting complicated.

Part of the 'design brief' for my belt grinder is that it is to be laser or water-jet cut from 1/4" plate steel and welded together.

Keep us posted on the urethane casting. I'd be extremely interested in knowing more about that.
Thanks given by: