Help Unknown Dividing Head
Hi Folks,

I'm posting some pics of my dividing head, hoping someone might identify it for me.

It works fine, just curious....

Chris Wright

North Lincolnshire.UK

Colchester Master 6 1/2"(13"), Elliott Rapidmil, Clarkson MkI+
Thanks given by:
Well I have no idea what make it is, but I had a degree of success identifying my mystery one by searching Google Images for 'dividing head' and finding one that looked the same.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply, I've already searched high and low hence asking on here and MM, I had thought it was an Elliott, but JS has told someone else Elliott's use 9 circle hole div plates, this only has 6.

Mind you, I've made a plate for it having only 4 circle holes of the div numbers I required for other jobs.

It's quite a big sod, that chuck is an 8", the spindle is 50int taper, ideal for my little jobbies...
Chris Wright

North Lincolnshire.UK

Thanks given by:
(02-03-2016, 11:19 AM)rotorhead Wrote: the spindle is 50int taper

Yikes That thing is meant for some serious work.

Ed
Thanks given by:
it also appears to be a universal head, is that a drive shaft that's peeking out in the bottom photo?
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Hi Folks,

The driveshaft has me baffled, as I can't see any means of engaging or dis-engaging it, I wouldn't really have much use for it anyway.

However, if I can get the head identified maybe some info would be available...

The 50int taper is giving me ideas of making a double taper adapter.

It seems big enough to support a back to back 50int to L0 fitment, there is a spindle closure nut for sale on fleebay, saving me making that bit.

To accommodate swapping my lathe chuck complete with any work, from lathe to miller.

Also my lathe chuck is of the 'Griptru' variety, allowing for very precise truing up of gripped work...
Chris Wright

North Lincolnshire.UK

Thanks given by:
The fact that is has the drive shaft would be an indication that it was made by a machine builder to mate with output gears on the table drive. This enables you to make things such as spiral cut gears. Of course it may be built by another company in cooperation with a machine tool builder, though when they have the drive it more commonly was sold with the machine to which it mated up.
Thanks given by:
I also had a browse through Google Images last night and couldn't see anything resembling it. Not an Elliott I don't think, at least not from the era of my U2 mill. They made heads with 3 1/2" and 5" centre height. I'm currently in the process of trying to get one shipped from UK to me in Aus, proving somewhat difficult. You fellas in the northern hemisphere are spoiled for choice compared to here.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2016, 07:08 AM)Pete O Wrote: ...I'm currently in the process of trying to get one shipped from UK to me in Aus, proving somewhat difficult...

Try harder Pete, try harder  Whip

Rotfl
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hi Lads,

The dividing head was 'included' in the sale of the Rapidmil from a Machinery Dealer in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire UK.

Also included was an Elliott Victoria 10" Rotary Table, and an extended reach 6" Abwood swivelling machine vice.

It was a brilliant deal at the time, as also thrown in was an extra Universal Head.

Like a pillock I threw away the cast dovetailed overarm, but I now use those dovetails for my hoist... so heyho...

Pete... You might have to wait for next boatload of convicts...hehe...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Chris Wright

North Lincolnshire.UK

Thanks given by: