Best tool for mirror finish polishing?
(02-16-2016, 06:32 PM)TomG Wrote: If you want to make cubes, a mill would be the best choice. It can be done on the lathe, but not easily. Knowing what kind you need is a matter of rolling up your sleeves and digging around in the forum to see what the rest of us are using for what type of work.

Tom, in school longer than I remember, the kids were separated by an interview, like a group with a degree of
machines (like myself) then kids that could use some kind of tool and kids with absolutely no knowledge. My group
born with gears valve jobs brake lathes (my fathers shop). OK my first test the teacher gave me, was to make a
block out of a round and then make the block round again, no dimensions- just do it on a war baby S Bend lathe.
I did it in two seconds.  I'm saying thats how teachers found ones level back 65 yrs ago.  I can get a 98%
mirror finish with a shaper.  The out of the box thinking, I use a 4 inch sissle wheel on a angle grinder and
buff while the part is still in the vise.  Same goes while chucked in a lathe.  Way better than hand held buffing.
Things get hot.
sam
big job, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jun 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best tool for mirror finish polishing? - by big job - 02-25-2016, 06:05 AM