Plasma cutter question
I've been considering the purchase of a plasma cutter, but have held off due to the cost.  Yesterday I discovered this one:  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p..._200441251

For $479.99 it's certainly well within my current budget.  As a member of their "Hotline" I would get $50.00 off and free shipping.

It appears to be a Northern Tool branded version of this one:  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p..._200632006

Does anyone have info or experience with either of these units?

Thanks,

Stan

BTW, found two on-line reviews of the Klutch plasma cutter. One praised it and the other trashed it.
Thanks given by:
Not this particular one, I have the CUT-50F by Colossal Tool. They're all made in China, probably even at the same plant. Mine is a 50A, also a pilot-arc like this one but including shipping was under $400. I got it from a dealer on ebay and it came with a 1yr warranty - the seller had a good rating as did the cutter based on feedback from several dealers. IMO, you don't want one that is not pilot-arc. I cut alot of very rusty 3/8" steel with mine and the only pre-cutting grinding I had to do was where the ground clamp was attached.

There's an accessory you will want for it that they don't list. I made mine. It's a ring that clamps to the head of the torch and has wheels. It will save you on consumables and that wire thing will vaporize the first or second time you have any blowback.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
I can not comment on that specific plasma cutter but my experience with my plasma cutter ... it happens to be an ESAB PowerCut 875 ... is that having a torch that takes inexpensive and readily available ... now and in the future ... consumables is #1 on my requirement list.

One of the son-in-laws bought a used un-named plasma cutter off of eBay. When it arrived he discovered that the torch was "not standard" and he could not easily find consumables. He put it back on eBay the next day and just passed the problem on to the next person.
Thanks given by:
Consumables were one thing I kept in mind when I made my choice. These are common and are available from alot of sources both on and off ebay.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
40 amp might be on the low side. My 60 amp is rated to 3/4 inch with 1 inch sever. !/2 inch is about the limit of a good cut in my opinion. They say 3/8 on that one, might struggle on 1/4 then. But I can run 40 amp nozzles and have no trouble cutting 1/4 plate with them. Don't know.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I bought a cut32 when I got my lotos200 acdc tig over here in aust most acdc tigs are over 1300 some round 1000 to 1200
I paid 890 including freight from Adelaide [bout 2400klm away]
the tig has easy to read and understand settings an has more extras than the eastwood 200 acdc
the plasma set at 32 on digital led just cuts threw 10mm or 3/8 plate an flys through 1/4 an 8 mm plate ect
I made my own wheel attachment out of a oxy wheel setup only had to drill out the holder with a flat bottom drill bit
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plasma-Cutter...Sw7FRWVpX2
Thanks given by:
I can't help you with that plasma cutter, but as I own 4 plasma cutters (Hyprtherm PM 30, PM 45, PM 65 and a PM 85), I can tell you, once you own a plasma cutter, you will never want to be without one.
jack
Thanks given by: