Project Kondia Powermill - Big Baby Blue
Hi Rusty,

Your Kondia looks to be in good shape. All the handles that I can see appear to be the original ones and not busted off and replaced with welded on bolts. A much better specimen than mine was when I found her!

OK - now I understand your description in your PM. You are trying to drop the spindle, whilst leaving the quill in place. I actually dropped the whole quill assembly out and then removed the spindle. I can see that you have the R8 spindle, where mine has the NMTB30 spindle. However, the rest of the spindle is the same. Looking at the drawing (which I am about to email to you) the spindle should simply drop out.

I have a hydraulic press, so I decided that it was best to press the spindle out rather than hammer on it from above. I didn't want the rack on the quill to bust any gears from hammering. Although, you could use a block of wood to support the quill.

If you don't want to hammer away, it isn't a major job to drop the quill. You will need to remove the motor and the belt housing, so that you can remove the two screws at the top of the quill that engage the quill skirt. If you don't, you will break of the tabs on the quill skirt and you will need to make a new one, as a BP one will not fit. Not a major drama, as Kondia sent me the drawing. Also, you will need to remove the micrometer screw and the quill stop. Also, remove the quill feed lever, the spring will release once the rack disengages and you don't want that spinning around an smacking you. Of course, the quill lock will need to be loosened off too.

Overall, I think these mills are a lot more robust than the BP on which they were based and the good news is that many of the parts are still available from Kondia in Spain, and I have a contact there who is very helpful. When parts are no longer available, they have sent me the drawing so that I can get the parts made or make them myself. Thanks to PixMan, I have a custom feed trip bracket on mine. Out of interest, what year is yours? Mine is either 1969 or 1970 (based on the S/N), which places it amongst the first generation, many of which were 'hand finished'. I've certainly had to massage a few parts to get them to fit and function properly.

To be honest, I don't mind the blue...

A few emails will find their way to your in box very shortly Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Kondia Powermill - Big Baby Blue - by rust_bucket - 02-26-2016, 09:28 PM
RE: Kondia Powermill - Big Baby Blue - by EdK - 02-26-2016, 09:38 PM
RE: Kondia Powermill - Big Baby Blue - by Vinny - 02-26-2016, 09:56 PM
RE: Kondia Powermill - Big Baby Blue - by pepi - 02-26-2016, 11:05 PM
RE: Kondia Powermill - Big Baby Blue - by Mayhem - 02-27-2016, 09:16 AM
RE: Kondia Powermill - Big Baby Blue - by Vinny - 02-28-2016, 02:09 AM
RE: Kondia Powermill - Big Baby Blue - by EdK - 03-11-2016, 05:09 PM