Making a duck call jig
The easiest way to cut that slot would be to use a key seat cutter, which would also be the shortest reach for a cutter. It would be tough to do with an end mill for the other way. My second option would be a slotting cutter, but then you would need a rather expensive arbor to hold it. Slotting, or broaching it as you say would also get it done. A boring bar tool (below) that will hold a 1/4 or 3/16 bit could be used as a manual slotter, using your quill (if your mill has one) to provide the action.

Tom

[Image: 32435a18p1-a02al.png?ver=1378972346]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Tom,  Thanks for the tips.  I'll try out pre-drilling and using the end mill on my scrap block first.  For the broach I was thinking of making an inline holder for the toolbit; something that looks like an end mill holder. That way all the forces would be inline with the broach and spindle.

Something like this although it would just be a round shank with a hole drilled in the center for the tool bit/broach and a set screw on the side to keep it from falling out.

.jpg   broach in holder.jpg (Size: 4.3 KB / Downloads: 52)
JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
It doesn't have to be anything fancy. This is one I made to square up corners that have a radius left over from an end mill. The bolt sticking thru the side is for keeping the backlash out of the spindle splines. You don't want your cutter rotating back and forth between strokes of the quill.

[Image: Shaper_Tool.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie,

Good tip on keeping the backlash under control.  I'll add that feature to my broach holder.

Thanks,
JScott
Thanks given by:
A flycutter would pretty that up and reach into the corners too.
A dozen turkeys across the road yesterday. Better hurry! Smile
Thanks given by: JScott
There is rain in the forecast (again) for this weekend so the turkeys are safe from me here in Alabama.
Thanks given by: