Kahr PM9
(03-29-2016, 11:14 AM)rleete Wrote: Ruger LC9.

Why?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Mooney as in the doods from the airport in the orange dresses that tried to sell you flowers in the '70s and '80s?

I wouldn't get the surprised: the North East was an early center of industry, mainly driven by firearm manufacturing.  Learned that at the American Precision Museum, which is worth visiting. Close enough to visit from Boston.
Thanks given by:
(03-29-2016, 10:37 AM)EdK Wrote: Speaking of 9mm handguns, I've been thinking of getting one and could use some advise.

Ed

Ed,

I've done a lot of research on this very subject and the Kahr PM9 or CM9 are hard to beat for carry. They are small in size, very thin and as light as they come. I've purchased three pistols specifically for carry and every one has been significantly smaller than the last. They don't do you much good if they are so uncomfortable that they get left behind.

Unless you are very proficient with a handgun and practice regularly, a shotgun is a much better choice for home defense. I am proficient and do shoot often, but still choose a shotgun as my primary home defense. That said, if you do decide on a pistol, a full size .45 like the Glock 21 or the SIG P220 are hard to beat. They are both high quality, reliable, high capacity pistols with lots of punch.

I'm sure Willie will chime in as well. Thumbsup

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: EdK
(03-29-2016, 10:35 AM)TomG Wrote: Thanks Willie.

I'm not too concerned about the accuracy. It's only a few inches high and left at 30 yards. The sights are adjustable for windage, but elevation would need to be corrected by shortening lengthening the front sight or cutting the notch deeper in the rear.

Tom

.... or shooting a lighter bullet. (less barrel time = lower point of impact.) Smiley-gen163

Al: Yes, Kahr Arms was founded by Kook Jin "Justin" Moon, who currently serves as CEO and President. (Son of the late Sun Myung Moon.)

Ed: I'm with Tom since I don't recommend a handgun for home defense for most people either. A compact (not "sawed off") shotgun is a better choice for multiple reasons.

(03-29-2016, 10:35 AM)TomG Wrote: They don't do you much good if they are so uncomfortable that they get left behind.

Best advice there is right there. "I'd rather have a gun and not need it, than need it and not have it."

"Target shooting" is like ice cream. Walk into a Baskin Robbins and say you want some ice cream. What is their first question going to be? Just as Tom stated earlier -- "The application drives selection." There are almost as many types of target shooting as there are flavors of ice cream. If you are talking about a hand gun for just general bullseye target shooting or "plinking" a Ruger MKIII pistol (.22LR) in whichever style suits you would be my #1 pick.
Willie
Ed,

I think the LC9s (big difference between the LC9 and the LC9s in my opinion) is a great little gun.  It has a very smooth trigger pull, is nice and compact, and is just very pleasant to shoot.  I bought one for my wife to carry and I've considered getting a "pro" version for myself (the "pro" version does not have a safety).

That being said, at the moment I'm wearing my Glock 36 in a K.L. Null Holsters  shoulder holster.  When it gets a bit warmer out I'm switching to a Walther PPS or a Smith & Wesson J-frame revolver (model 649) or a S&W LCR, both in a K.L. Null holster.

I keep a Ruger SP101 revolver loaded with .357mag on my nightstand in a quick access safe.

FWIW

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Wow, no kidding. Talk about a rebellious son.
Thanks given by:
(03-29-2016, 10:37 AM)EdK Wrote: Speaking of 9mm handguns, I've been thinking of getting one and could use some advise.

Ed

Stay away from the pointy end Ed Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I've had several DA 9mm pistols but just never liked the long trigger pull.
I know a lot of folks who do like the LC9S though.
I now carry a SA Sig P938 9mm. I shoot 1911's every week and the safety on the Sig is in the same place as a 1911.
Thanks given by:
(03-30-2016, 03:46 PM)CNCAZ Wrote: DA 9mm pistol

I know the 9mm part but what's a DA?  17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
DA stands for "double action". It refers to a system where the trigger both cocks the pistol/revolver and releases the hammer. On a SA (single action) you have to manual cock the pistol/revolver manually (at least the first time on a pistol) and the trigger only releases the hammer.

The trigger pull on a SA is usually (but not always) crisper, lighter, and shorter.

You also have guns like the SIG P220 (one of my favorites) which is considered DA/SA (sort of) where the first pull of the trigger can be "double action" and subsequent pulls of the trigger, as long as it self-loaded from the magazine, are in a single action mode.

FYI - When I am wearing my duster I carry a SIG P220 "Carry" model in a Blackhawk concealment paddle holster. Yes, I have many guns and varied ones for different styles of carry.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by: