Kahr PM9
It's been kind of quiet in here so I thought I would add a bit of material. Even though it's not technically related to gunsmithing, I would suspect that most of us who frequent here are at least gun enthusiasts.

I bit the bullet (pun intended) and expanded my selection of calibers to 9mm with the purchase of a Kahr PM9. I don't carry often, but when I do, the old reliable .45 is just too damn big and heavy, even in a compact like the Glock 30s. I had been considering the PM9 for a while now and came across one online at a price I couldn't refuse, just over half of the $800 they are around here in the retail stores. The online purchase was a little scary, especially when I found out that it was being delivered by the USPS. And when they missed the first delivery attempt to the FFL, and had to hold it through the weekend, I was certain they would find a way to lose or destroy it.

I finally took delivery on it last Monday and took it North over the weekend to try out. It is ultra small and light, literally pocket sized and weighing in at 14 ounces. The capacity unfortunately is light as well since it is small and single stacked, at 6+1, or 7+1 with an extended mag. The trigger is different and may take a bit of getting used to. Since the gun has no safety, the trigger pull is extra long to make up for it, kind of like a revolver. It's light and smooth though, so it feels very good. Another concern I had was being able to manage the recoil due to its small size and the fact that I have large hands. That didn't seem to matter though. The accuracy was a little off, high and left, but the repeatability was more than adequate.

All in all it's an impressive and well made little pistol. Don't know if I'll ever be able to shoot it as well as Hickock45, but I can shoot it well enough. Thumbsup

Tom

[Image: 20160329_083534.jpg]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Does it come with a purse Tom Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Shirley you must mean manbag, Darren.
Thanks given by:
Nice choice Tom. They take a little getting used to, but one you settle in with it I think you will like it a lot. I have the same gun basically but in .40S&W (P40 Covert) which is my "usual" carry. I like the striker fired system because there is no way for an AD to occur. As you said it takes a long deliberate (silky smooth) pull on the trigger to make it "work". I installed an adjustable set of night sights on mine, and changed out the plastic recoil guide rod with stainless.

As far as shot placement goes, try several different brands ammo and different bullet weights. You'll probably be able to find one that shoots closer to your point of aim. All in all, I think Kahr makes pretty good products (including Thompsons) and are made in the USA (if that matters). Hard to believe they are made by a bunch of "Moonies" though. Big Grin

Smiley-signs107
Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks Willie.

I'm not too concerned about the accuracy. It's only a few inches high and left at 30 yards. The sights are adjustable for windage, but elevation would need to be corrected by shortening the front sight or cutting the notch deeper in the rear.

The trigger pull is definitely smooth and won't be any trouble at all to adjust to.

Mine has a stainless guide rod. I was thinking about making one out of tungsten to get some weight on the nose, but the recoil is so manageable that it really doesn't need it. There isn't much to work with anyway with the nested spring design.

Even more surprising than the company being owned by a Mooney is that the factory is located in Massachusetts.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Speaking of 9mm handguns, I've been thinking of getting one and could use some advise.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-29-2016, 09:25 AM)TomG Wrote: Shirley you must mean manbag, Darren.

No, I mean purse.

And don't call me Shirley.   Smiley-dancenana
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
(03-29-2016, 10:37 AM)EdK Wrote: Speaking of 9mm handguns, I've been thinking of getting one and could use some advise.

Ed

Ruger LC9.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(03-29-2016, 10:37 AM)EdK Wrote: Speaking of 9mm handguns, I've been thinking of getting one and could use some advise.

Ed

What do you want to use it for, Ed? The application drives selection.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Two main uses. Target shooting and home defense. My thought is to get two. The one for home defense would be small enough to use for concealed carry if I decide to pursue that license.

Ed
Thanks given by: