Kahr PM9
(03-31-2016, 07:16 PM)EdK Wrote: Let's say I don't want a shotgun. It doesn't matter why. What would be a good pistol for both home defense and CC given that I'm a small old fart?
I don't mean to hijack your thread Tom so tell me to get lost if I'm guilty of said offense.  Blush

Ed

Good question Ed.

As I mentioned earlier, application drives selection. A carry gun makes certain sacrifices in caliber and capacity to make the pistol small enough to comfortably carry. Those sacrifices would make a carry gun likr the Kahr or Ruger compacts a very poor choice for home defense. Chances are if someone is going to break into your home, they wouldn't be alone. That means you need to have superior firepower to make it a fair fight, which is why I use a shotgun as my primary home defense weapon. It's also MUCH easier to effectively aim a shotgun in a high stress situation than a handgun, even if you are proficient. I also have pistols on every floor of the house, and all are .45 caliber with at least an 8 round capacity (11 for the Glock 30S) with extra magazines close at hand. The Glock and the shotgun also have a 300 lumen LED light's for positive identification of things that go bump in the night. Of course anyone attempting to break in would have to get by the dogs first anyway, so the element of surprise would be pretty much mute.

Dave: You've been listening to way too many news reports. Big Grin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Yea, after watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading lots of articles, I'm not going to be able to get a one size fits all. And now I'm considering getting a shotgun and a pistol. I'll deal with the CC if I decide I want to go that route eventually.

Thanks for all of the info.

Ed
Thanks given by:
does the abbreviation CC mean carry concealed or something similar?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Yep.

CC = Concealed Carry
CCW = Carry Concealed Weapon
CHL = Concealed Handgun License
etc., etc...

Several different acronyms depending on which state.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Yep again.

CPL = Concealed Pistol License in Michigan
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
FWIW, the Kahr is made at a plant in Worcester MA just 7.5 miles from me. I've been through it, and in terms of machining the parts they're definitely "old school." I don't all manual machines though there are some. The CNC machines they have are all 1980's vintage and compared to current stuff, slow as molasses. The name "Kahr Arms" doesn't appear on the sign outside the building at all. It reads "Seilo Machine Co. Inc."

They got into big trouble in 1999 when a couple of workers smuggled out enough parts to make a few non-serialized handguns. One ended up being used in a murder outside a local nightclub. It remains unknown how many receivers, slides, barrels and other parts made it out the door. They also have lost track of shipments of 15 and 17 guns that never made it to the shops buying them. As far as I can tell, there's still no security at the plant.

Highly rated little guns though. A good motorcycling frind of mine was their head of customer service and quality control for a couple years and did straigten out some issues. I wish them well.
Thanks given by:
I went with an H&K VP9 to start off with. Mainly a range shooting pistol. My brother and I are going to take a carry permit class soon. I'll likely get a smaller carry pistol and eventually a shotgun. Probably a Mossberg 500 of some sort.

Ed

P.S. I actually survived the FBI background check.  Yikes
Thanks given by:
I have a Mossberg 500. Around here they go on sale almost every week.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(04-27-2016, 08:21 PM)EdK Wrote: I went with an H&K VP9 to start off with.

Ed this is an older review on the VP9, but what I wanted to point out is how he reloads the magazines. If you want to save wear and tear on your thumbs I highly recommend getting one of the LULA magazine loading tools. They are somewhat universal and can be used on a lot of different magazines.

Smiley-gen163
Willie
Thanks given by:
(04-27-2016, 11:16 PM)Highpower Wrote: Ed this is an older review on the VP9, but what I wanted to point out is how he reloads the magazines. If you want to save wear and tear on your thumbs I highly recommend getting one of the LULA magazine loading tools. They are somewhat universal and can be used on a lot of different magazines.

Smiley-gen163

Willie,

I've seen that video and many others dealing with the VP9. I have that exact magazine loading tool on my Amazon wish list so I'll definitely be getting one soon.

Ed
Thanks given by: