Help me buy a QCTP
+1 on everything previously posted.  I've used both, but prefer the wedge type as it is less likely to hang up.
Thanks given by:
Repeatability is not an issue in any of the work I have done yet, just the chore of changing tools is taking way too long and the videos I have seen of work with QCTP has had me shaking my head at my SCTP system.

Arvid has offered me his set at a price I could not possibly refuse so it appears I will soon be the proud owner of a very nice toolpost  Smiley-dancenana  Smiley-dancenana

What shipping method would you guys recommend for this item from USA to Australia? I've only ever bought stuff over there from businesses who have their own shipping arrangements so any tips would be great.

My wife and I are leaving in about an hour for a few days down the coast celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, so will check back in and follow up any shipping suggestions when I get back. Thanks guys for all the tips.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Congrats, on both the toolpost and the wife.

My own wife & I are only halfway to your record.
Thanks given by:
Well done Pete - you will not regret that purchase!

I have purchased a few items from the US over the years and whilst my preference has always been to bring them back in my suitcase after my annual business trip, I have also had items shipped out via the US postal service. Touch wood - I have never had an issue.

When I purchased my QCTP (same size as yours) it was divided and packed into three of the large USPS flat rate boxes. At the time (2011), the total postage was around the $150 mark. Yes it is a little steep but when you consider what you would pay for one at Hare and Forbes it is worth it. Besides, they don't stock this particular size and would screw you hard for the Dickson or spline type.

One thing I would think about is asking arvid to see if there is enough room to stick another #2 tool holder into and buy one online and have it shipped to his address. I did this when I purchased mine but the box sizes may have changed since then. As has been noted previously, you will need to change out the M12x1.75 dog point screws to some quality ones. If you like, I can get the details of where I sourced mine from - they are over East somewhere.

Congrats on 30 years. I'll notch up 17 this year.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
USPS flat rate international is going to be the cheapest.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2016, 05:55 AM)Mayhem Wrote: One thing I would think about is asking arvid to see if there is enough room to stick another #2 tool holder into and buy one online and have it shipped to his address. ... As has been noted previously, you will need to change out the M12x1.75 dog point screws to some quality ones.

I'd be willing to order another #2 holder and have it shipped to the house. CDCO seems to be the cheapest and has had reasonable quality for the price but where ever you would want me to get it from is fine with me. I'd also order how ever many dog point screws you would want from McMaster and include them in with the other stuff.

We'd just add it all up and make a single PayPal transaction.

And Bev and I passed 32 years together in February and will have 31 years married in July.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2016, 03:08 PM)arvidj Wrote: And Bev and I passed 32 years together in February and will have 31 years married in July.

Arvid

Congrats.  My wife & I had our 35th last December.  A 2nd marriage for both of us to boot.
Thanks given by:
If I added all of my marriages (4 of them) together, I wouldn't have 35 years
jack
Thanks given by:
My wife and I passed 33 years in November - 1st time for both of us.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
22 with wife.1, and 12 (so far) with wife.2.
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by: