Help me buy a QCTP
Thought I'd bore all of you with a progress report ...

Pete has been extremely patient while I waited for the additional tool holders to show up. They arrived the other day so this morning it was time to solve the "how to ship heavy stuff to Australia" problem.

First thing was to get some tools and materials ...

Next step was to add some foam around the inside of the box ...

Next was to see if the pieces would fit inside the lined box ...

Well that seems to have worked out. But there is a significant problem that needs to be solved. These are heavy pieces of metal and during transit they will move around and probably damage one another and the box, possibly escaping thru the holes they would make. If only there was a way to inject foam into all of the blank spaces. But if I did that then Pete would have a heck of a time getting all the foam off the tools.

After a little thought I proceeded up stairs and asked Bev if I could borrow the vacuum food sealer for a little while. I was surprised that it actually seemed to work ...

And now to see if it still fits ...

Ok, I admit that the vacuum sealer seemed to work but (a) after the first couple of items it was boring and (b) after a few minutes it seemed like air was leaking into the bag. Given that it was not the extremely tight form fitting packaging I was hoping for I put everything for the next box in individual zip lock bags and squeezed as much air out of them as I could. A rubber band around the top and it looked like it was good to go.

Now the fun part. Some disposable gloves and then some Great Stuff Gaps and Cracks ...

When the box was full of foam I put the final piece of white foam board across the top as a lid and then taped the box up.

I'd weighed them before I started foaming and each was about 18lbs which is perfect for the 20lbs limit at the post office. On Monday morning we'll go to the Prior Lake post office and send them on their way.

When Pete gets the boxed he will have to dig and cut all of the pieces out of the foam, but hopefully they all be intact.
Thanks given by:
There's actually a foam packaging system. They put a plastic bag over the items and fill the bag with foam. That's how my DRO came. I've gotten other things packed that way too. To unpack you just pull the bag out.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
My pressure washer pump came that way Vinny.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I'd love to see the reaction of our customs officers when they x-ray those boxes!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Okay I think I have a new favourite post on this forum Smiley-dancenana That's a heap of effort you've gone to to get these packed for the journey Arvid, now I'm starting to get excited.

And the customs blokes can keep their filthy hands to themselves!
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
I shipped a spin indexer to Dave in South Africa in a flat rate box. I lined all surfaces of the interior with some scrap 1/4" plywood glued in with wood glue. Then I glued in some square strips of wood in all for corners.

I think I did something similar for a package I sent to Australia. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2016, 09:06 AM)EdK Wrote: I think I did something similar for a package I sent to Australia

You did and I actually still have the box and use it quite often.
Thanks given by:
I would have liked to have seen at least a plywood bottom in that box. Styrofoam is no match for the USPS. Sadno

I ordered several pieces of 1" steel plate off of ebay and they sent them wrapped in bubble wrap stuffed into medium size USPS flat rate boxes. It took them a month to arrive because they had to figure out where they came from in order to find out where they were going. The labels had literally worn off under the weight of the packages. When I finally got them there wasn't a single "bubble" that survived and the plates were hanging out of what was left of the boxes.

In this case it would probably HELP if they transport them upside down like they did mine.
I'm hoping for the best for you though. Smiley-signs003
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie - I seriously want to you look back over your past, as I am sure you really upset a postal worker somewhere along the way to have all the grief that you have with parcel deliveries!   Smiley-signs081

When my CA QCTP and holders were shipped via UPS from MA, USA to WA, AUS (about 11,700 miles) it was done so with no more protection than bubble wrap and packing tape.  All three large flat rate boxes made it all that way in very good condition.  All the items I have shipped myself, or Ken or Ed have shipped to me have also arrived in very good condition.  OK, Ed's one doesn't count, as he lined the box with plywood but Ken and I  used bubble wrap only.

Think long and hard Willie - was it the ginger kid in fifth grade that you didn't pick to be on your baseball team? Smiley-gen151
Thanks given by:
No, I'm pretty sure it's a higher power that hates me. Whip
Willie
Thanks given by: