Making A Part For An Old Rifle
A guy at work inherited his grandfathers Walther Model 2 22 LR rifle. It's got a cracked part in the bolt assembly that he can't find anywhere. I took a look at it and it looks like it would be a fun. challenging project to try and make. No lose if I don't succeed. My question is what type of steel would be appropriate? I was thinking pre-hard 4142 steel. Any advise would be appreciated. I'll try to get some pictures of the part and post them tomorrow but I believe it's the breech.

Attached is a crappy picture of the rifle that I found with the help of Mr. Google.

Ed

Thanks given by:
I'd have to see what part you are talking about Ed, but regular old O1 is hard to beat. It's easy to machine and easy to heat treat.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(04-14-2016, 07:37 PM)TomG Wrote: It's easy to machine and easy to heat treat.

I was hoping to avoid heat treating and the possible warping, but I'll get some pictures and post them tomorrow so you can get a better idea of what I'd be dealing with.

Ed
Thanks given by:
O1 is very stable. A2 is even more so.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: EdK
I use O1 for pen bushings because they maintain concentricity and size after heat treating. Heat treating is done with used motor oil (non-synthetic) and a propane torch. Never had a bad part yet.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Your co-worker inherited a rare bird. Not too many "triple" actions around. Single shot, bolt action and semi-auto all rolled into one package. Nice. Cool
Willie
It is indeed the breech that's broken. You can see the broken part in the first and second pictures. It does appear to be somewhat hardened because a file kind of skips off of it.

Ed

Thanks given by:
(04-15-2016, 12:41 PM)Highpower Wrote: Your co-worker inherited a rare bird. Not too many "triple" actions around. Single shot, bolt action and semi-auto all rolled into one package. Nice.  Cool

Willie,

Do you have any idea what it's worth? We haven't had any luck on trying to find its value. To him it's priceless since it was his grandfather"s. He just wants to get it back to the point where he can use it. He'll never sell it.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(04-14-2016, 05:18 PM)EdK Wrote: A guy at work inherited his grandfathers Walther Model 2 22 LR rifle. It's got a cracked part in the bolt assembly that he can't find anywhere. I took a look at it and it looks like it would be a fun. challenging project to try and make. No lose if I don't succeed. My question is what type of steel would be appropriate? I was thinking pre-hard 4142 steel. Any advise would be appreciated. I'll try to get some pictures of the part and post them tomorrow but I believe it's the breech.

Attached is a crappy picture of the rifle that I found with the help of Mr. Google.

Ed

Here's a talented machinist making her own single action revolver. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrT_9lg...WFw/videos

After watching her, you'll say, "Heck, I can do this..."
Hi, I enjoy machine scraping and long walks in metal machinery factories. 
(04-15-2016, 04:36 PM)EdK Wrote: ...To him it's priceless since it was his grandfather"s...He'll never sell it...

Good to have a value for insurance reasons.

That looks to be a complex part Ed, I'm sure you will enjoy the challenge. I'll be watching your progress with interest. Personally, I'd go with O1, as Tom has suggested.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: