Installing QCTP to the Kobe lathe
I got a bit of time this afternoon to have another run at this thing; I decided to take some of the thickness off the piston pad from the boring side of the toolpost, rather than remove material from the holders. A couple of reasons for this; firstly, pretty much all of the holders seemed to go over the dovetails okay and with almost the same dovetail fit (by feel) except for one of the non-original holders which is a bit tighter than all the others. Every one of the holders was difficult to get down over the piston on that side, so I think the fact that the piston was a bit proud was affecting every holder. Secondly, not having a surface grinder, I was not confident to take a cut out of the middle of the holder dovetails without stuffing them up.
I used a small surface plate with a sheet of 180 grit emery paper and about half an hour of rubbing interspersed with test fitting. All of the holders except the one with the tighter fit on the dovetail, now slide happily onto either position. I'm happy to leave that one holder as-is and put a turning tool in it.

I'm optimistic about getting some time this week to make some more of the milling arbor spacers, really looking forward to doing the job with the QCTP now, it was very laborious with the old arrangement. Once I have the spacers and nut for the horizontal mill finished, I'll look at making some more holders- first on the list will be a holder for the carbide insert parting tool. I'll be looking for some advice on material to use for the holders.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Installing QCTP to the Kobe lathe - by Pete O - 05-24-2016, 06:39 AM
RE: Installing QCTP to the Kobe lathe - by Mayhem - 05-24-2016, 06:54 AM
RE: Installing QCTP to the Kobe lathe - by Vinny - 05-24-2016, 04:45 PM
RE: Installing QCTP to the Kobe lathe - by Pete O - 05-25-2016, 03:36 AM
RE: Installing QCTP to the Kobe lathe - by Pete O - 05-25-2016, 03:41 AM
RE: Installing QCTP to the Kobe lathe - by EdK - 05-25-2016, 05:43 AM
RE: Installing QCTP to the Kobe lathe - by PixMan - 05-25-2016, 06:56 AM
RE: Installing QCTP to the Kobe lathe - by Pete O - 05-29-2016, 08:36 AM
RE: Installing QCTP to the Kobe lathe - by Mayhem - 05-29-2016, 09:05 AM