Harrison vertical milling attachment, how to strip?
Hi all, I have a Harrison H mill, and some time ago, got a vertical milling attachment for it. Although the thing is externally rough, internally it is pristine...............but I want to strip it for two reasons, firstly because I want to do a proper job of refinishing it, because at the moment it is just plain ugly, and more importantly, because the gear on the vertical shaft has quite a lot of backlash on the shaft, and I suspect a badly fitting or partially sheared key. Also got to fit a new oil sight glass. I have stripped most of it, but now am at the point of removing the 30int vertical shaft from the casting. It is tight as you would expect, but I would like advice from anyone who has ever done this, just to make sure I am doing it right. I have removed the top and bottom chrome covers, removed the preload adjuster nut from the top bearing, and my guess is that the whole assembly will now press out of the bottom, for which I will be using threaded rod and spacers Any advice gratefully received!

Phil
Man who say it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?
Thanks given by:
Pics would help greatly.
Thanks given by:
Well I thought it was a long shot, seeing they are reputedly as rare as hens teeth anyway. Good news is that it is out! Made up threaded rod and spacers, and nothing moved, but gently warmed the casting with a hot air gun, and it gave a little grunt, and out it came! The key is marked, but does not display anything like the damage I was expecting, so I will get some primer on the castings, and while that is drying, I will closely inspect. A little staining on the upper bearing, which was dry, but it buffed out with ease, so I will not be replacing the horrendously expensive Timken flanged bearings!! Lower bearing is perfect. They are both grease runners, whereas the gearbox and primary drive box are oil filled. Really must buy a press!

Phil
Man who say it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?
Thanks given by: