Thermography ... any hints?
Hello

thanks for the replies.

Tom that article was a good read and it explains exactly the business i am in, I work for a refinery and co manage all storage tanks for the plant, cleaning and repairs are a huge cost of tankage and this technology plays a big part for gathering data.

To set the scene, an average crude tank is 150' dia x 50' high and after 10 years of service may yield 3' of sludge, do the math and you will find thats a huge amount of material to recycle or dispose of,crude tanks are not the real problem, we have smaller diameter tanks that cost 3 times more to clean they are mainly our slop tanks, these are tanks that get every product within the plant either refined or not sent to it for temporary storage for what ever reason, this means the residue it produces contains nasty materials like sand, cat finds, heavy metals and general trash which is extremely expensive to dispose of, average cost of $0.70 per pound. 

We have a rather expensive camera at work (its about 5 years old technology) and gives us pretty decent shots but its only one dimension, solids don't settle equally they pile or lean, my original question was does anyone know more about this subject is because i want to put a FLIR on a drone and survey my tanks that way so i can get a better picture of my solids which makes my budgeting more accurate.

We had a drone company come in and show us there technology and we had them fly around taking pictures and stuff but as yet no FLIR.

When i get the pictures back ill post them.

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Thermography ... any hints? - by ieezitin - 06-07-2016, 07:25 PM
RE: THERMOGRAPHY...ANY HINTS? - by Dr Stan - 06-07-2016, 11:27 PM
RE: THERMOGRAPHY...ANY HINTS? - by Highpower - 06-08-2016, 08:56 AM
RE: THERMOGRAPHY...ANY HINTS? - by Roadracer_Al - 06-08-2016, 11:49 AM
RE: THERMOGRAPHY...ANY HINTS? - by Rickabilly - 07-29-2016, 02:11 AM
RE: THERMOGRAPHY...ANY HINTS? - by TomG - 07-29-2016, 10:05 AM
RE: THERMOGRAPHY...ANY HINTS? - by ieezitin - 07-30-2016, 07:43 AM