Painting a Bridgeport mill
Anybody have any idea what kind of paint I should use to paint my Bridgeport mill? It's been stripped and filled and ready for paint. I was going to use a 2K high build primer but no idea what the top coat should be. As for the colour I would like to keep it as original as possible.
Thanks
John
Thanks given by:
I use wheel or caliper spray paint on machines I have painted. Those paints hold up really well to cutting fluids and coolants. You probably will not find a good colour match though.
Steve S
Check out MyShopNotes on youtube.
Thanks given by:
Rustoleum has an industrial grey I used on my Fray.  It's held up very well & looks good.

I do not know about the availability of big box stores in our friendly next door neighbor, but many carry a house brand that is as good as the name brand.  Rural King in the US especially has an excellent line of house branded oil based enamel.
Thanks given by:
I've painted a lot of machines and like Stan says, It's hard to beat good old Rustoleum. Automotive paint is great for cars, but for machines, it's better to have something less likely to chip. The Dove gray is really close to the Bridgeport gray.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(08-29-2016, 05:12 PM)TomG Wrote: It's hard to beat good old Rustoleum.

+1 I've never had any problems with Rustoleum.  Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
(08-29-2016, 05:12 PM)TomG Wrote: I've painted a lot of machines and like Stan says, It's hard to beat good old Rustoleum. Automotive paint is great for cars, but for machines, it's better to have something less likely to chip. The Dove gray is really close to the Bridgeport gray.

Tom

Thanks Tom. 
Does the Rustoleum need a primer?

I was going to use a 2K high build primer but having researched it I'm having second thoughts. Seems the isocyanides in the hardener is really nasty stuff.
Thanks given by:
(08-29-2016, 06:56 PM)Old Minger Wrote: Does the Rustoleum need a primer?

I was going to use a 2K high build primer but having researched it I'm having second thoughts. Seems the isocyanides in the hardener is really nasty stuff.

Not sure if it required a primer, but I went old school and used good old iron oxide primer and yes the isocyanides are quite nasty.

BTW, I did all my spray painting outside.  Could live with a few bugs & some dust in the paint.  Helped reduce any fume exposure and clean-up.  All over spray was gone the next time I mowed. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Rustoleum does not need a primer, but a high build primer is good for filling in imperfections in machinery. High build primers are available in 1K and if you are unfamiliar with 2K products, that would definitely be the way to go.

Isocyanates are present in both parts of 2K products and require a supplies air respirator to use safely. Organic charcoal filters are not adequate. The problem with isocyanates is that they are hazardous below the threshold of smell, so you can be inhaling dangerous amounts and not even realize it.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(08-29-2016, 08:54 PM)TomG Wrote: Rustoleum does not need a primer, but a high build primer is good for filling in imperfections in machinery. High build primers are available in 1K and if you are unfamiliar with 2K products, that would definitely be the way to go.

Isocyanates are present in both parts of 2K products and require a supplies air respirator to use safely. Organic charcoal filters are not adequate. The problem with isocyanates is that they are hazardous below the threshold of smell, so you can be inhaling dangerous amounts and not even realize it.

Tom

Thanks Tom
Thanks given by: