AXA QCTP Blocks
About a week ago, I ordered 10 AXA blocks from CDCO, they arrived in about 3 days, I loaded up some tools. I modified a couple of blocks to better hold boring bars, and had to order 10 more blocks last night.

I have to open a couple of them out to hold a 3/4" tools, as my, on order,  Walter G1011 parting tool should be here soon.

There is a company called All Industrial supply, they sell a oversized AXA block that will hold a 5/8" tool for $13.50 plus shipping, and Dorian offers a AXA block that holds a 3/4" tool, but is $95 plus shipping.

It seems for some reason, most of the tools I want, seem to start with 3/4" x  3/4" shanks.

When I bought my first lathe (Atlas 12") I had a local machine shop, cut the shanks of 4 tools down to fit the 1/2" slots in the standard AXA blocks, all 4 of the tools either broke or bent, I've had much better luck with opening the tool blocks up. I've opened up over 200 of them to 3/4" and so far (knock on wood), I've never had a block break or crack.
jack
Thanks given by:
(09-18-2016, 08:26 AM)the penguin Wrote: I modified a couple of blocks to better hold boring bars

Hi Jack,

Could you show what you did to modify your blocks to hold boring bars better?

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-18-2016, 08:46 AM)EdK Wrote:
(09-18-2016, 08:26 AM)the penguin Wrote: I modified a couple of blocks to better hold boring bars

Hi Jack,

Could you show what you did to modify your blocks to hold boring bars better?

Thanks,
Ed

ED,

I took a piece of 3/4" shafting, in the lathe, bored out the centers to hold the boring bar, then welded then into the AXA blocks, then drilled the assembly for the set screws to hold the boring bars. They offer boring bar holders, but most seem for the bigger diameter boring bars, I wanted some thing to better hold the smaller diameter boring bars. These are not fancy, by any means, but they work very well, they also allow you to rotate the cutter into any position, if that important.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

jack
Thanks given by: EdK
A 5C collet holding block covers a wide range of boring bars. I have one in my BXA set, and I believe they are available an AXA size.
Mike
Thanks given by:
(09-18-2016, 09:44 AM)Mike E. Wrote: A 5C collet holding block covers a wide range of boring bars. I have one in my BXA set, and I believe they are available an AXA size.

I have the collets and the holder, for me its way too much overhang, limits my carriage travel too much.
jack
Thanks given by:
I made sleaves in a couple different sizes to fit my BXA holders
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the tip about "All Industrial Supply". Awhile back I sold my Clausing (14") lathe, and recently bought a smaller Boxford (9") lathe, which should suit my future hobby requirements. I did keep the Aloris toolpost set, and find that it "will" fit the Boxford, however, some of the tool holders would need to be "slightly" modified to allow for center height adjustment of some cutters. Considering the investment I have in the set, and the lighter work I will be doing, modifying some aftermarket blocks looks like the best option.
Mike
Thanks given by:
Tonight, I finished up the 3 new boring bar holders. I now have separate holders for;

1/4"
6 mm
7 mm
5/16"
8 mm
3/8"
10 mm
12 mm
1/2"
5/8"
3/4"

all of them now offer a tight solid grip on the boring bar, with no change of slippage.
jack
Thanks given by:
Not much out there with 7mm shanks, though all the others should get plenty of use!

Nice idea with the "permanent reducing sleeve" modification, though I'd worry about distorting the dovetail dimensions. You know welding far better than me though, and having done it many times I'm sure they came out fine.
Thanks given by:
In between being beaten like a rented mule and almost actually giving a crap, my AXA blocks from CDCO arrived. I got about an hour of shop time today, I opened 3 of the blocks, from 1/2" up to 5/8" and 3 more block up to 3/4".  I also bite the bullet today, and ordered a dozen 1/2" AlTin carbide end mills.
jack
Thanks given by: