Opinions needed..pls
(10-01-2016, 09:01 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Calling a 1-1/2" bore "big"? Really?

Compared to my first lathe (a 7x10 mini), yes. Most hobbyists don't have a need to shove 10 foot lengths of 4" round stock through their spindle bore. It's all relative to the size of the work you intend to work on. Just because they make bigger badder lathes doesn't mean everyone should own one. (Keep in mind - this is NOT the Practical Machinist forum.) I would love to have a big ole' honkin Monarch sitting in my shop, but the truth is 90% of a machine like that would go to waste on the types of work that I do here at home. Just one more opinion... Smiley-eatdrink004
Willie
Thanks given by:
Compared to an Atlas and a lot of other home machines 1-1/2" bore is large.

I tried to buy a mill from Precision Matthews, but was unable to get a confirmed ship date, it was constantly changing, the last comment was, "pay for it and you will have it in 4-6 weeks". I bought a Jet instead, ordered it on Monday and It was at my house on Friday, local warehouse had it in stock. Other people have bought from PM and had great luck.

I was so happy will the Jet mill, I bought  two huge drill presses and a lathe, never an issue with any of them. Over the years, they have made me tons of money.
jack
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2016, 10:15 AM)the penguin Wrote: your not relying on the lead screw for carriage motion, unless your threading.

Yup, using the lead screw for feeding is one of the weaknesses of most of the smaller lathes. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2016, 10:20 AM)Highpower Wrote: (Keep in mind - this is NOT the Practical Machinist forum.) 

Thank God for that. Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
This isn't the PracticalMachinist forum but there is a guy here who has over 5000 posts there and thinks of himself as somewhat of a "master machinist". I think of him as a pompous arse.

It's not a bad forum, it's just that they have a focus on professional machines and professional people who run them so no talk of lathes like the ones in this thread. It's Don's sandbox, his rules.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the input, the 1127 is the way I am leaning good points made: longitudinal feed: bore size was noted: wedge mount tool post is standard on the 1127, 1.5hp motor being another. How about the top speed, 1800 rpm, any limitations i should be aware of?

Forming a plan, aka floor space, get some room and fill it with a lathe. It is going to be nice addition the have around, compact and capable

greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
(10-03-2016, 09:03 PM)PixMan Wrote: This isn't the PracticalMachinist forum but there is a guy here who has over 5000 posts there and thinks of himself as somewhat of a "master machinist". I think of him as a pompous arse.

It's not a bad forum, it's just that they have a focus on professional machines and professional people who run them so no talk of lathes like the ones in this thread. It's Don's sandbox, his rules.

Yeah, well this isn't Don's sandbox.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2016, 10:05 PM)Vinny Wrote: Yeah, well this isn't Don's sandbox.

Again, thank God for that.  Its not just his attitude toward certain machines, but his extreme political stance which makes his forum quite hostile.
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2016, 09:03 PM)PixMan Wrote: This isn't the PracticalMachinist forum but there is a guy here who has over 5000 posts there and thinks of himself as somewhat of a "master machinist". I think of him as a pompous arse...

I just checked and I don't have anywhere near 5000 post over on PM  17428
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2016, 01:30 AM)Dr Stan Wrote:
(10-03-2016, 10:05 PM)Vinny Wrote: Yeah, well this isn't Don's sandbox.

Again, thank God for that.  Its not just his attitude toward certain machines, but his extreme political stance which makes his forum quite hostile.

I made the offer of testifying as a expert witness for any of his employees if they brought suit for a hostile work environment.  The ignorant fool claimed one would have to work for him to serve as a witness.  Guess he skipped Business Law the day they covered the role of an expert witness in a civil trial.
Thanks given by: