Help What kind of vice should I look for?
"avoid a swivel base?""  I would say no that is a handy feature.

The swivel or rotation of the jaw is what is being talked about, and agree with the fault mentioned.

Take Notice:  http://www.swindens-vices.co.uk

To me it shows the vise being used as a positioner. A major feature of a vise is to hold things in order to counter large forces being applied.

Side note mount the thing on a corner of the bench.
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
Here's the one I found on CL in metro Chicago.  The owner did not want to ship, but I sweetened the deal so he sent it to me.

[Image: DSCN1640_zpshq6b0mks.jpg]

for whatever reason I cannot get it to rotate & stay in place.

[Image: DSCN1638_zpscnnxwtzd.jpg]
[/url]
[Image: DSCN1639_zps9hgpj2tq.jpg]

There is no brand name although it is US made and similar to a Wilton professional/industrial vise.  It's quite heavy & very well made.  I suspect it may have "fell of the back of a truck". Tongue

On arrival it did not have any dirt , scratches or other signs of use.  It did arrive in a generic box and not in the original manufacture's packaging.

[url=http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/drstan/media/Vice/DSCN1639_zps9hgpj2tq.jpg.html]
Thanks given by:
Perhaps it needs both locks to hold it in place? Looks like the one is broke off.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Would you guys spend $500 on a quality used vice like a Wilton that was in excellent condition? Just trying to gauge the value of used vices. There are some rusty old pieces of crap out there going for $100 on my local CL.
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2016, 07:06 PM)Vinny Wrote: Perhaps it needs both locks to hold it in place?  Looks like the one is broke off.

Nope.  I took it off in order to show the info cast on the side.
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2016, 07:21 PM)Old Minger Wrote: Would you guys spend $500 on a quality used vice like a Wilton that was in excellent condition? Just trying to gauge the value of used vices. There are some rusty old pieces of crap out there going for $100 on my local CL.

I certainly would and did as I think that's about what I paid for the one in my post.
Thanks given by:
I sold an 8" Wilton on ebay a few years ago, new, small ding in the end cup, for less than $500 as I recall. One of those traveling tool guys used to bring me overstock and other stuff to ebay for him.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
I wish I could remember the name of my vise as when I bought it the list was close to a grand.  I just looked at Wilton vices at MSC and one like it with the Wilton label lists just under $900.00.

I do remember being very happy with the deal.
Thanks given by:
I can't help myself. It's shameful but here's what Craigslist and $275 got me:

[Image: IMG_1944-r_zps71715c5d.jpg]

It's worth taking your time and really looking around.
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2016, 08:26 AM)PixMan Wrote: I can't help myself. It's shameful but here's what Craigslist and $275 got me:

[Image: IMG_1944-r_zps71715c5d.jpg]

It's worth taking your time and really looking around.

Ya done good.   Thumbsup
Thanks given by: