cutting question
had this alloy outboard pod sitting around for few months so was thinking bout cutting it up and using the alloy for whatever jobs I want .I have a32amp plasma and have cut upto 3/8 thich steel .the pod is all 5/16 so I was thinking bout yseing the plasma
is there anythink different I need to know from cutting steel
cheers in advance
[Image: WP_001493_zps4kbidhnd.jpg]
Thanks given by:
In general it takes higher amperage to cut aluminum than steel, probably due to the aluminum oxide on the surface.  32 amps to cut through 5/16 aluminum sounds on the light side.

However I'd still give it a go even if it takes multiple passes.  I recommend using a wire wheel in an angle grinder to clean off the oxide where you plan to cut.

An alternative method would be to use a reciprocating saw to cut up the unit, or an aluminum blade in a circular saw.
Thanks given by:
I'd give it a go. I don't cut a lot of aluminum, think the tables for the plasma table say slower feed rates than steel. The cut isn't as clean or smooth as steel but usable.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
thanks fellas im goin to give it a go during the week have to wet down the area as its very dry here in the bush atm
Thanks given by: