1st Post 1st LatheSmart and Brown Sabel
I *love* having a reversible spindle! It's really handy for power tapping, and on occasion good for threading with upside-down tools to thread away from a shoulder toward the tailstock.

One thing that matters though is if the spindle is a thread mount for chucks, you can only reverse it when using a collet chuck and only if that isn't the screw-on type.
Thanks given by:
(10-18-2016, 11:30 AM)johnobirches Wrote: What is the main drawback of not being able to reverse the motor?

It looks like the motor has been changed and is a non reversible type.

The reverse switch at the rear has been removed at some time.

Thanks
John

not being able to reverse the spindle while power tapping
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that folks.

The chucks I have are both screw on [don't have a collet chuck] but I'm probably a long way from being ready to power tap.

Best Regards

John
Thanks given by:
(10-19-2016, 02:06 AM)johnobirches Wrote: Thanks for that folks.

The chucks I have are both screw on [don't have a collet chuck] but I'm probably a long way from being ready to power tap.

Best Regards

John

I'd only reverse the spindle if there is a positive lock, such as a set screw, that secures the chuck to the spindle.
Thanks given by: johnobirches
Its nice to have the parting tool set up on the top slide rack up-side down for quick parting off... or any tool for the matter it can make you go twice as fast.

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Well I sorted some belts and got the lathe spinning.

I turned down some aluminium and made a plug to press out a bush from my AJS motorbike crank case. 

Then flushed with success made a bearing on a rod push tool a-la John Mills to true things up in the chuck.

Some issues with wear on the cross slide and a little lumpiness in the carriage travel along the bed but overall I'm a very happy camper.

Thanks again for the welcome and support.

John
Thanks given by:
Great work John... 

most of this is machining malarkey is common sense and not really hard and with a plethora of machining videos to watch on the tube you will get the hang of it... enjoy yourself brother..

All the best

Anthony..
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Welcome John,

Thought I would have a look at the book Vinny mentioned, one can never know to much, about machines that is.

Here is the pdf file; http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/3789.pdf
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems