Cleaning scrap for melting
I have some old transmission and transfer case housings that I plan to melt at some stage, I'm wondering if there is something I can leave them soaking in for days / weeks / months that will make them easy to clean just with the pressure washer, I'm thinking much like the old molasses bath for rust removal. I don't want to spend the same amount of time cleaning things up for melting as I would for rebuilding the gearboxes, and I don't need the parts in a hurry.

By the way, I've found that my chinese log splitter is an excellent tool for breaking gearbox housings into crucible-sized chunks. Thing sits unused for months on end, might as well put it to work!
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
when I had my roadworthy an muffler shop ect I made a old boiler into a steamer id put the parts I want to clean on a grid style shelf above the water and lite the burners boil water an the steam an solvent mix used to clean up real nice .what a bout a bath in some soda wash ?
Thanks given by:
Do you have access to Simple Green, Purple Power or similar cleaner?

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7...l-1-Gallon

Spray the cases down then pressure wash the crud away.  Use a car wash if available.
Thanks given by:
Not wanting to run a boiler, more looking at something I can just suspend things in and forget about them, pull them out and hose them off when I want them- much like rust removal with molasses as mentioned. I have just acquired a couple of empty 44-gallon drums, thinking I can use one of those to hang the cases in if I can find a suitable cleaning solution.
Would that work with the Simple Green? I have not seen it here but haven't looked either. Any clue as to what the active ingredient is?

Thanks given by:
Ok looks like I can get the Simple Green easily enough- Purple Power not available- question remains are these biodegradable solvents suitable for long-term soaking?

Thanks given by:
(10-27-2016, 09:48 PM)oldskoolron Wrote: when I had my roadworthy an muffler shop ect I made a old boiler into a steamer id put the parts I want to clean on a grid style shelf above the water and lite the burners boil water an the steam an solvent mix used to clean up real nice .what a bout a bath in some soda wash ?

Ron I only just twigged what you're referring to as 'soda wash', is that caustic soda? Sounds like a distinct possibility although I assume that would need a plastic drum rather than a steel one?

Thanks given by:
With products like Simple Green, or Purple Power there is no need to soak for a long time. I use a weed sprayer that you pump up, spray the parts down, let it soak for 5 or 10 minutes and pressure wash them. It leaves the surface clean enough to paint, all oil and grease is removed.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I've read that Purple Power is not good for aluminum. It eats it for breakfast.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Simple Green is even safe for food prep surfaces.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(10-28-2016, 06:24 AM)Pete O Wrote: Ron I only just twigged what you're referring to as 'soda wash', is that caustic soda? Sounds like a distinct possibility although I assume that would need a plastic drum rather than a steel one?

Soda wash is quite safe.  Just do not confuse it with lye as I've known a few people who think lye is soda wash.  BTW, its also used in reverse electrolysis to strip rust off ferrous material.
Thanks given by: