Old Tooling
A buddy got these with a Hardinge lathe he bought from Crown Assets, had no use for them so gave them to me. Some interesting pieces, does anyone recognize the shank? Must draw into the spindle with that course thread and seat on the taper.
Was looking for info on the boring head and found it on Criterion's site. Its from the 40's. Takes a 3/8 boring bar, the thread is 40tpi so scale is direct.
[Image: izcUWkiNcYwHeIJq0Nm2iUpXV2E7VMNifFP3MvLC...4-h1271-no]

[Image: XPIhPJkaBcsGn-k4uIQ7xK3MGDim9AVdqGIcKGDN...4-h1271-no]

Now what is this, I assume its for boring as well, looks like a precision fly cutter. The cutter can be advanced with a 40 tpi screw behind it, then the body rotates on the shank, Im guessing on an offset for adjustments in .0001, the scale is logarithmic.

[Image: RcXFYvPeqh7K2VWSAhJlAox3didLls4cHDWcQ7X-...4-h1271-no]

[Image: AUynSN9zkpzNG72x6hI0VtuxSwKB2J1X-fqUlsDt...4-h1271-no]

[Image: 1pBnqrRElcwwNXqQnMCGuiIbQbP2-0d-z5jAwmOU...4-h1271-no]

And this one. Some sort of boring bar. The cutter has the same 40 tpi backup screw.

[Image: 6QhqCzENN3Urs1lyIZabnl_WPPTTL4VpxiBtlZQN...4-h1271-no]

[Image: kg3aGTWCykFWZHZhkIkvMpUH9pmPFAGYd-SZL2gW...4-h1271-no]

[Image: upelWcyaey6VVsLEHNXIEv0cGt0PJkrheiUpYVcu...4-h1271-no]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I suspect the "precision fly cutter" is a boring head.  Primarily for larger short depth holes.
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2016, 07:34 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: I suspect the "precision fly cutter" is a boring head.  Primarily for larger short depth holes.

Correct. It's OK for any depth, you just have to remember that moving the tool in at a 45º angle you are moving it down and out at the same time. Not an issue with a through hole, can be if you're trying to hold the depth of a counterbore. I used a lot of Valenite, Kennametal and DeVlieg boring heads like that. The dials were calibrated for diameter, nothing on depth.

BTW, the square thread on the shank and hex on the body allowed those to be a quick-change tool (less than one turn to remove) for a certain brand on machine. Might have been early DeVlieg jig mills.
Thanks given by:
BTW, what sort of mill, etc do you plan to mount these in?  The taper looks like something like a Cat 30 or maybe a #5 or so Morse Taper.
Thanks given by:
Good point on the depth changing Ken. Figured the mount had to be someones proprietary taper. Can see where it would be quick to change.
No real purpose for them Yet Stan, was digging for something else and ran across them.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
The mount looks like a Moore Special Tools jig borer shank. The tooling would be appropriate for a jig borer as well.
Bob
bobm4360, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by: f350ca