Some spare parts
I've been planning to make the missing parts of the power feed system on my Victoria U2 mill, earlier this week I was looking at the broken gearbox casing and realised that it was going to be much more complicated than I thought as I think it has been machined in place on the knee. I was contemplating abandoning the idea and fitting an electronic power feed to just the X-axis. The parts to get the Y and Z power feeds working are less complicated.
Well about 24hrs after I had come to this conclusion, I found the spare parts that I need to return the machine to it's original state with power feed on all axes.  Today I went and got the parts:

Missing a few components but looks like it might have been in reasonable condition before it was abandoned with no protection on any of the machined surfaces. It appears to have all the components of the power feed system in place. I have some leave coming up in January so I'm thinking I might strip both machines and use the best components to rebuild. Already imagining all sorts of uses for the left-overs.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Very nice donor, Pete, is your working mill also an universal?

I'm currently trying to decide whether I can fit a Parkson Adapta in my garage, looks very capable (once the right-angle sub-head's rebuilt), but bloody huge! Spares for that might be a problem, but it appears to have the same apron/knee as the 2N which is a lot more common...

What I haven't seen yet is anyone brave enough to try a CNC conversion on Proper English Iron this size, could be a fun project for the leftovers...?

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
You know... a mill table of that size would be just the ticket for building a motorcycle chassis. If the ways are knackered, put the word out or post a notice in the local motorcycle shops, specifically the chopper/Harley oriented shops.
Thanks given by:
My existing mill is identical to this one, or at least it appears to be, universal etc. CNC conversion would sure be interesting but the technology involved is a complete darkness to me. Maybe one day I will get the urge to unravel the mysteries of it but for now I'm happy tinkering with obsolescence.

I already have a use in mind for the table, I think it would make an excellent extension to the shaper table to enable mounting the dividing head out beyond the stroke. Internal splines etc. Probably too long as is but it may end up being cut down for that purpose.

The spare overarm will allow me to experiment with mounting a bridgeport-type vertical head if I ever come across one that is affordable; I'd be able to find the best way of mounting it without risking destroying the mill.

On the other hand, the spare NT40 spindle might make a nice starting point for a self-made vertical quill spindle....

I've also been wondering whether the column would have the strength and rigidity to be the backbone of a press.

Thanks given by:
how do u  find these old relics ive tried to find em but no go .maybe its me not looking in right places ...
at first glance without my glasses i thought u had a robot nepolean lol big job but the rewards will be worth it once finished pete as ya know .
Thanks given by:
(11-11-2016, 06:40 PM)oldskoolron Wrote: how do u  find these old relics ive tried to find em but no go .maybe its me not looking in right places ...

This one was on Grays Online, they sell industrial surplus by internet auction all over Australia. http://www.graysonline.com/Manufacturing...ngineering I was the only bidder and got it for a song. Usually I find that stuff I'm keen on is too far away- some interesting stuff being sold in Darwin and W.A. recently- but sometimes you can be lucky. I fluked across this mill by browsing their industrial stuff in Vic.
Other outfits do onsite clearing sale auctions and if you can get to the sale on the day you can often pick up items that the industry is no longer interested in.

Thanks given by:
My Victoria U2 was posted in our classic motorcycle forum. You never know where you'll find something.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Feel free to alert me to stuff in WA Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Lots of mines selling stuff all the time over there Darren. I'll give you a heads-up next time I spot something of interest. Sydney seems to be the epicentre of machine shop closures though.

Thanks given by: Mayhem
I completed fitting up the missing components for the power-feed system on my mill this afternoon, now have operational power feed on all 3 axes Thumbsup  
I think this will make the milling experience with this old machine a whole lot more fun, also having Z-axis power should take some of the pain out of not having a moveable quill on the vertical head.
As mentioned elsewhere, I plan to strip the machine down, give it a good clean-up and a decent coat of paint, replace the odd bearing etc. I wanted to fit all the parts up first and verify that it all works as it should. It does.

Looking back over this thread, I don't know why I would have thought that the mill table would be suitable to hang off the front of the shaper, thing must weigh 200kg and is about 3 times too long for that task. Surely too big and heavy for a motorcycle chassis though??

Thanks given by: