Some spare parts
Nice work Pete.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
That's just what chassis builders are looking for -- something stout enough that it's not going to go all pretzel shaped. A lot of builders make a weldment, but why go to all that trouble when you can just build furniture that is moveable and universal?

[Image: image002.gif]
Thanks given by:
Ah, a picture paints a thousand words...I was thinking you meant the table would be part of a chassis, seems you are talking about a jig to build chassis on. makes a whole lot more sense! I was picturing a bike with an enormous chunk of iron under it to mount the engine & gearbox Big Grin
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Something to ponder.  Visiting a mold shop I came across an interesting mill conversion.  They had married a Bridgeport head with a fairly sizeable (5 or 6ft bed on the X axis) horizontal mill.  This way they had a large working envelope and the features of a BP.

I think the adapter hung from the dovetail on the front of the ram with a hole that cleared the horizontal spindle.  Mostly it was used with the ram retracted as much as possible, but then the ability to extend the ram also created more versatility.  Head removal was also straight forward to return the mill to horizontal configuration.
Thanks given by:
Guys are doing that with Burke horizontal mills all the time as well as another brand. They're even getting the overarm support to fit with the Bridgeport head installed.

But wow, would I love a 5 or 6 foot bed!!!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2016, 11:07 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Something to ponder.  Visiting a mold shop I came across an interesting mill conversion.  They had married a Bridgeport head with a fairly sizeable (5 or 6ft bed on the X axis) horizontal mill.  This way they had a large working envelope and the features of a BP.

I think the adapter hung from the dovetail on the front of the ram with a hole that cleared the horizontal spindle.  Mostly it was used with the ram retracted as much as possible, but then the ability to extend the ram also created more versatility.  Head removal was also straight forward to return the mill to horizontal configuration.

Would be a great thing. I do keep my eyes out for a used bridgeport head, generally they seem to fetch nearly as much folding stuff as a complete machine. I think I mentioned earlier, I've kept the spare overarm so I can experiment with mounting such a head if ever one comes my way.

Thanks given by:
(12-11-2016, 06:03 PM)Pete O Wrote: ...I was thinking you meant the table would be part of a chassis...

Oh that is gold Pete! I've not had a good laugh all day Big Grin Thanks!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Yeah no wonder the suggestion made no sense to me Slaphead Blush
Ah well, at least I can offer amusement, if nothing else.

Thanks given by:
That was a good'un, Pete. :)
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2016, 06:03 PM)Pete O Wrote: Ah, a picture paints a thousand words...I was thinking you meant the table would be part of a chassis, seems you are talking about a jig to build chassis on. makes a whole lot more sense! I was picturing a bike with an enormous chunk of iron under it to mount the engine & gearbox Big Grin

Ah, you were thinking of a Hardly-Rideable then... Big Grin

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by: