Lathe chucks
Hi ya'll

Have a look at these chucks, tell me what you think. What to look for in a chuck, going to need the two sizes

https://www.amazon.com/Jacobs-Drill-Chuc...orse+Taper

Thanks in advance
greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
That's a good price, as long as you need a #3 MT arbor.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Greg,

hard to say, Jacobs makes about 10 different grades of drill chucks, some are basically crap and others are top of the line. Some of them have machined chuck sides surfaces, others are cheap sheet metal sides, like on some of the cordless drills.

Are you looking for drill chucks for the tailstock of the new lathe??

Is the tailstock MT#3 ??
jack
Thanks given by:
I looked up both model drill chucks, the link you posted, has them at a good price for both of them,  It maybe just me, but I'm not a fan of drill chucks with threaded mounts, could make working with the lathe in reverse questionable. I know they can be put on with lock-tite and other methods, but still make me uneasy. Maybe others could, speak their thoughts, on threaded mounts.
jack
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2016, 09:53 PM)the penguin Wrote: Greg,

hard to say, Jacobs makes about 10 different grades of drill chucks, some are basically crap and others are top of the line. Some of them have machined chuck sides surfaces,  others are cheap sheet metal sides, like on some of the cordless drills.

Are you looking for drill chucks for the tailstock of the new lathe??

Is the tailstock MT#3 ??

Yes & yes it is ..

"cheap sheet metal sides" I would run from that for sure, could not give junk like that..

greg

Thanks given by:
Greg

Its always a struggle to ponder cheap verses expensive compared to quality and value my story I shall share has lead me to this, there are certain things in our shops you can get away with medium to low quality tooling & materials and times where only the best is mandatory.

Drill chucks happen to be one that needs to be in the best category, its a tool that gets used often, more than most in any shop, it provides a service which sets the path for other tooling to follow; its a tool that is relied upon to be used quickly.

Jacobs as already stated make a low to medium quality product but in my opinion there quality units are not up to par.. there design is out dated and flawed in its action, they too have farmed out the production to Inconsistent manufacturing companies and for value are overrated.The jaws get flat and the key action over time gets sloppy, a lot of moving parts, you put the key down and spend 5 minuets trying to find it, replacement jaws are an absolute fortune if you have the intelligent where with all to open the chuck up to install them.  Bleh

Albrecht chucks are quality units designed and built for a lifetime of service, there key-less design is very smooth and positive, it grips the drill with an extraordinary force which through proper use ensures no slippage, the tolerances these chucks are made to are typical of German engineering; the overall feel, look and function are a delight to use. One slight twist releases the drill the smooth action is a delight to feel.

Costs... Albrecht is double compared to Jacobs.  Unless you get frugal ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-5-8-ALBRECHT...SwB09YIhnO

No this item is not me its just being used as an example. You can purchase a second hand Albrecht for a reasonable price, i would rather spend the extra $50 more on a used chuck than a $100 for a new Jacobs. 

To sum up purchasing a new Bentley for 1/2 million pounds sterling you get a Bentley, buying it for 300 thousand pounds used you get a Bentley.

The same philosophy applies to Collets and chucks not included are 3 and 4 jaw chucks,  all measuring tooling excluding verniers, One lathe and one mill the rest you can make do with and the beer you drink.    5176

There are other quality chuck manufactures out there i just have no experience with them so i cant comment. Hope this helps...

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Anthony

Informative info for sure, I bought the Jacobs 14n. I have an pneumatic angle drill that has a Jacobs chuck. I like the action and smoothness of it, so I am sticking with the brand.

As to used I see that as a gamble I'm not interested in taking.

Thanks given by:
Just a side note about Albrecht chucks (I whole-heartedly concur with Anthony's assessment, BTW).

Albrecht chucks self-tighten when torque is applied on the drill bit. For this reason, you should never ever insert a drill all the way into the chuck. If the drill bottoms out as it self tightens, you'll have a heck of a time getting the chuck loose.

I always bottom the bit, then back it out about 1/4" to avoid this issue.
Thanks given by:
About 5 years ago, I traded my Albrecht keyless chuck for a Rohm keyed chuck, of the same size, I never felt sorry about the trade. To me Albrecht drill chucks are like Kurt vise, good quality, but way over priced for what you get.
jack
Thanks given by:
Given the off shoring of Jacobs chucks I believe you're better off buying used and rebuilding as necessary.  Its fairly easy to tell if a Jacobs chuck was made in the US or China.  The US versions will have Jacobs, etc engraved/roll stamped in the body.  Chinese versions are laser etched.

Personally when & if a new chuck needs to be purchased I'm going with a Rohm.  BTW, an Albrecht is also excellent.
Thanks given by: